Carvin necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin necks

I'm thinking about ordering a Contour C66, but somewhat unsure what to expect in the neck department, so I tried to look up some info on the Carvin forums, but people there mostly compare Carvin necks with Ibanez, which I'm not too familiar. So, I'd appreciate if someone, who has a Carvin and familiar with Jackson DK2 or Charvel ProMod San Dimas or Fender American Standard strat necks could comment on thickness, back shape and general feel of those necks compared to Carvin's.
    Thanks!

I would say that they are a wide C shape and thicker then a dk2, more like what's on a jackson DXMG. The some fenders I have played have thicker necks like this. They still are comfy necks though!

Comment

rounder profile but not to thick. i would put it more in the fender strat category myself. nice profile. if you have really big hands than it might be a bit cramped but i have average size maybe even a bit on the smaller side and i had no problems playing it.

Comment

Hope this helps.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/necks/2...dimensions.pdf

Comment

My 2002 SC90 seems to have more of a D profile, similar to the Jackson "speed neck" and the old Charvel Model 5A and Model 6 I used to have. Do certain Carvins have different profiles or have they changed through the years? I also had a DC400 and a DC120 12-string that had similar profiles.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            My 2002 SC90 seems to have more of a D profile, similar to the Jackson "speed neck" and the old Charvel Model 5A and Model 6 I used to have. Do certain Carvins have different profiles or have they changed through the years? I also had a DC400 and a DC120 12-string that had similar profiles.
            Toejam,
            Around 2003 Carvin switched to a C shape neck.
            Before that it was a D shape.

I notice the difference going between my '89s or '94 and the '09 ST300.

The ST300 neck is a little more meaty than the D shape. Not baseball bat though.
            I would call it a medium C shape.

group
            4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

Carvin's necks, like almost everything about the company, are a happy medium.
              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by k65h View Post
                Toejam,
                Around 2003 Carvin switched to a C shape neck.
                Before that it was a D shape.

I notice the difference going between my '89s or '94 and the '09 ST300.

The ST300 neck is a little more meaty than the D shape. Not baseball bat though.
                I would call it a medium C shape.
                I see. Thanks, Kent! I can get used to pretty much any neck shape either way.
                I still want to get a 7-string... how are the profiles on those?

Comment

I have a 2004 Bolt Plus and a 87 Jackson strat . The Pro mods from what I read are close the Charvel pointy . So the Jackson neck should be the same as it is nothing more than a Charvel neck with a Jackson logo. The Carvin neck is real close in feel to the Jackson . If you can get comfortable with a new Charvel Pro Mod you should feel right at home on the Carvin .
                  Mike
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I see. Thanks, Kent! I can get used to pretty much any neck shape either way.
                    I still want to get a 7-string... how are the profiles on those?
                    The 7 string profile still feels like a D shape to me.
                    Again medium size.
                    Not Schecter baseball bat.
                    Not Wizard thin.
                    4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

Cool, thanks. I had an Ibanez RG7620 and a Schecter 007 Elite, and I didn't have a problem with either. Seems like the Carvin is right in between and should be a nice compromise.

Comment

A little thicker & more C shaped than my Charvel 650. Fast & totally comfortable to me. They offer 12, 14, & 16" radious. 20" is not listed as an option, but last I heard, you can get if you call & request it. No compound radius.

Link.
                        http://www.carvinguitars.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=15098
                        Models
                        The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                        I dont need furniture.
                        If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                        If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                        And rock that sucker.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies! Medium C sounds like exactly what I need, not too thin, not too thick.

Comment

There is thread in the photo section of the CarvinBBS: The definitive neck profile pic thread. It has shots of contour guages showing neck profile of a carvin and my kelly (speed neck).

Comment

Working...
                            X