Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD - My First eBay Purchase (lots of Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - My First eBay Purchase (lots of Pics)

Hey all,

After waiting for a very long week, I got home to a big box of fun. Thankfully, the shipper packed it well...

And its a....

Kramer 1984 Reissue

After looking for several months, this is the only white one I have seen available.

It is in incredible shape, not even a buckle mark on the back. All original paperwork, keys for the case, even the strap locks all brand new.

After being out in the cold for more than a week, I am letting the guitar settle in for a day or two before I really assess. First thing I noticed was the fret edges are sharp. I am hoping that after a day or two of moisture and heat in the house the frets will not need to be re-dressed. If so, is this a big job?

Also, from a fit and finish perspective there is a slightly bigger gap between the neck and the pocket then I would like. The pic may not shows it well, but the gap is about the width of the G string. Not sure anything can be done about this? Perhaps the gap will shrink after some moisture gets in to the wood?

Also, what can you do to clean the lightly oiled maple fret board?

Beautiful, I love it! Nice score.

Comment

Nice find man, looks like a good player.
      1990 Charvel 275DLX
      1993 Ibanez RG470
      2005 Ibanez RG7321
      2007 Ibanez RG120

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
        First thing I noticed was the fret edges are sharp. I am hoping that after a day or two of moisture and heat in the house the frets will not need to be re-dressed. If so, is this a big job?
        Sharp, how?

If the fret ends are hanging over the fingerboard, then they are really "sharp" and that just sucks to play on. That is relatively easy to fix on an unfinished neck if you are good with tools.

But, if that has been fixed (or the fret ends have never really been dressed) then this leaves a "sharp" corner where the fret end bevel meets the rounded fret shape. This is just "sort of uncomfortable" especially with big frets. You can round the corners off. This is kind of a pain in the ass and time-consuming.

Comment

Those are great guitars. I had the Red model. I swear the case for mine weighed more than my Vetta II combo. The fret ends on mine were sharp, too. I sold it before I had them filed. Congrats, that white is sexy.
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Doesn't look like a whole lot of packing there; what was the ship method?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks all,

Yes the frets are hanging over on the fret board. I have left the guitar in the case with a sponge in water to get some moisture in to it. While it has helped a lot, they still need to be redressed. I got it from Western Canada (very dry environment). I am disappointed with the seller, but that is a different story.

I will get the frets redressed in a few weeks after I am sure the fret board is stable and not moving given consistent moisture.

I have also ordered a D-tuna and a 42mm Brass Block. While I like the pickup I think I would like something a little hotter. Specs on the Stock Pick Up are:

84T (Custom-Made to original specifications by Gibson USA)
              Wire Gauge: 44 AWB
              Turns: 6800
              Magnet: Alnico-V
              Resistance @ DC = 16.34Kohms
              Resonant Freq. = 5.2Kohms
              Inductance @ 1KHz = 8.3H
              Mounted directly to body

I find hard to get pinched harmonics as compared to my Jackson USA SLH2-MAH. Any recommendations? Would the EVH Frankstrat Pup be hotter?

Also, this is my first guitar with an unfinished Maple Neck and Fret Board. Can anyone suggest how to clean and maintain?
              Last edited by Radiohead; 01-22-2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X