Wayne Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Guitars

I was looking at the Wayne guitar site & I was wondering If any of you guys own any Wayne guitars and what you think of them? How good are they realy? How do they compare to CHarvel CS's? The feel of quality & feel of the neck? No doubt they're increadible, just want some first hand opinions.

Thanks

I own one that many here are familiar with (pic-wise anyway). It's an '08 Wayne Rock Legend in Black Nitro. The story on this one is that ( I really didn't want to spend 2.5k so) I called one day when they had a used "pup" testbed guitar up for sale for about $1200 if I recall correctly.
    The guitar had been sold. Michael told me he could have sold it a dozen times from the phone calls. I told him to put me on a list somewhere and if he had anything like that again to call me. Lo, and behold about 2 weeks later my cell rings, I don't recognize the number and it's Michael. he offers me this guitar for $1100 plus shipping plus cost of a case if I wanted one. He explained that he could build this cheaper because he wasn't putting a 1K paint job on it, including all the coats on the headstock to cover the logo. So I just have black satin nitro, a JB, a trad trem, and Wayne signed the headstock himself. The neck has awesome birdseye and it plays like a beast. To me, it's special and I wouldn't trade it for any other new $1100 dollar guitar out there. Only one word of warning: you must, must, must, treat that neck within a week or so of receiving it and the sooner the better. They are raw wood and the humidity wherever you are is guranteed to be different than it is in Paradise, California. To my door (G&G tweed case and all) was $1270.

I cannot say Wayne and Michael are the best as there are too many good people out there. But I have a guitar in my hands that was built by a guy that was actually THERE when Ed was initially bolting his stuff together. If he doesn't know what Ed had at that time then no one else does either. When I plugged it into my '78 Master Vol JMP the sound was there whether or not I could play that way. it's a bad machine. Kick in the overdrive, some delay, hit with a phaser and start butchering VH songs. As I said, Just take good care of that neck.....Did I get my money's worth? Hell yes, and then some. Would I take this over an Art Series at half the price? Hell yes. Would I take it over an Art series for the same price. Hell yes. Don't be scared of Waynes, but I wouldn't go whole "hog" until two things happened....

One...
    I would not buy used on ebay if "no returns" are offered because you do not know if the neck was properly treated. A lot of used ones you see have had the neck changed because the owners let the neck "go bad". Some folks have let the same things happen to their newer CS- Charvels as well. Used to be a thread on here where someone had done that (it was a year or so ago).

Two...if you buy new either find new ones to play or don't go buying a 3500 dollar one and then get bummed if you don't like it. He has some in the low-mid 2's that are more than costly enough for someone trying it out.

Hope this helps.
    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

85 Sam Dimas,

That is bad ass. I love the actual signature...
      Can you let me know how you are treating the neck and how frequently?

Thanks,

Comment

I use Tung Oil, straight stuff from StewMac. I apply it in really thin coats acouple of times a year (spring and fall when the humidity is going to change and I've had good luck with any bare wood necks over the years. Once, years ago I once applied too much too quickly...there used to be a thread on this over in tech...but there are many sources on the internet that detail this work. It isn't hard. As they say, just measure twice and cut once.

Thanks for the compliments. The signature on the headstock is cleared over with 3 coats instead of 6 andalso not overly polished out.
        Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
        98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

The older Wayne's are pure magic...the newer one's really seem hit and miss...they are overpriced new but well worth it at a used price IMO...I've had 6 now and loved all but one...and most importantly still do

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
            The older Wayne's are pure magic...the newer one's really seem hit and miss...they are overpriced new but well worth it at a used price IMO...I've had 6 now and loved all but one...and most importantly still do
            What do they typically go for used? I've been wanting to pick one up second hand, as the prices new are a bit high for what is being offered in my opinion.

Comment

i got on 02 rock legend. even back then they were hit or miss. the neck on mine is perfect, its very flat backed but thick. mines got some finish flaws, & now its been kinda beat up but its just a guitar. i use gunstock oil

Comment

Originally posted by spider murphy View Post
                What do they typically go for used? I've been wanting to pick one up second hand, as the prices new are a bit high for what is being offered in my opinion.
                I guess it depends on what you're looking for (graphic or solid color, new or old headstock etc)..but they seem to be $1200-$2000 used, with the old style headstock being much more popular...the EVH striped one's seem to hold their value pretty well though.

Comment

Working...
                X