Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is my '65 SG Standard worth?

How much is my '65 SG Standard worth?
    Neck repair and refin. I'm thinking of trading it for a Bogner Shiva 6L6 reverb 1x12 combo and some other equipment if I can get good trade value. I looked on ebay and they are sort of all over the place...

1965 Gibson SG Standard

bump.... nobody have an opinion?

I just saw one going for 15k excellent condition, no refin, no neck repair; and also one for 6k. So I was thinking 75% reduction due to the refin and neck repair - which leaves about 2 grand. Am I nuts - should it be higher?

Comment

In Philidelphia, is worth Fifteh bucks.

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

You'd probably do better over at The Les Paul Forum, where they're constantly yacking about vintage Gibsons. With that oddball neck repair - what's up with the skunk stripe? - and the '65 year puts it out of the PAF range, you're looking at a lot less than $15K.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
          In Philidelphia, is worth Fifteh bucks.

Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by EVHwannabe View Post
            bump.... nobody have an opinion?

I just saw one going for 15k excellent condition, no refin, no neck repair; and also one for 6k. So I was thinking 75% reduction due to the refin and neck repair - which leaves about 2 grand. Am I nuts - should it be higher?
            Maybe if you had some better shots of the repair, and more details about the repair.

Comment

here is a pick of the HS repair. you can barely see it, but there is a hairline there right along the edge of the black paint begining at the corner by the high E tuner and running along the edge of the black paint - looks pro done

Comment

The GC by me has a '65 for around $15K, and a '63 for around $28K. Amazing difference a couple of years can make. Both of these are pretty mint looking (behind the glass case).

You are pretty much trying to find a collector to get those prices, and collectors want things in mint shape.

Dropping down to the player's grade stuff, I'm thinking if you get over 1/2 of $15K you are doing good. If you are serious about trying to dump this start investigating ebay completed auctions for all classic SGs, noting the years and condition. Maybe start a spreadsheet to keep track of the results.

Comment

Remember, GC's prices are at the top end of the spectrum. These are guys who have Norlin Les Pauls listed for $3500+.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Yah, that's why Don said completed auctions
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That was in his 3rd paragraph, which I skipped because I had already thought of a witty GC bashing comment.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

You paragraph-skipper you
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Soap opera update:
                          I ended up trading the '65 SG neck repair refin along with a Fender Tele FMT for the following: A Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo (which sounds freaking sweet) and a Fender Tele relic (which looks and sounds freaking sweek) (made in japan).

Pics to come later....

Comment

Here they be:

Comment

If I can't say something nice....

i think they should have at least given you a USA Tele.
                              Last edited by DonP; 12-24-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X