NGD - BC Rich Mockingbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - BC Rich Mockingbird

I picked up this near mint BC Rich Mockingbird. It's an import, but I'd like to get more info on it. It's neck thru with mahogany wings, Quilt veneer, BCR Pickups, licensed Floyd, ebony board w/diamond inlays. The back of the neck is Gibson 58RI chunky. The headstock says BC Rich - NJ neck thru series.

The neck was really out of whack when I got it, which is why it was fairly cheap. After adjusting the neck, the guitar plays great, but the nut is too high, so I'll have to lower the nut shelf. Also, the guitar is neck heavy - is there a way to remedy this - maybe with a repositioned strap button?

The guitar had no serial number anywhere, so if anyone is familiar with this guitar, I'd love to get more info.

Well here's a quick picture of the guitar - more will follow when I get a nice day as I really hate flash photo's.

I believe that was made at least 7 or 8 years ago in Korea, and it might even go back to the '90s. It was part of the first neckthru import series that BC Rich had done since the original Japanese NJ Series in the '80s. I was fairly impressed with them at the time, though I think the current neckthru imports are a little more faithful to the original U.S. versions than yours is. On yours, I believe the scale is 25 1/2", rather than the classic BC Rich 24 5/8" scale, and the body contours aren't quite as heavily sculpted as the U.S. Mockingbirds.

Every Mockingbird I've ever played is neck-heavy, and I'm not sure there is a lot you can do about it, other than wear a "grabby" strap. Unlike a Gibson SG, the smooth heel contour of the Mockingbird doesn't allow you to put a strap pin there. The long scale on yours probably makes it worse. You might see if you can find lighter-weight tuning machines for it, since that's a big source of weight on the neck side of things.
    Last edited by pro-fusion; 12-14-2009, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Looks a lot like a predecessor to the current import model. I love mine....

"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

the only mockingbirds that arent neck heavy are the shorthorns. they were never available as imports, & most people think they are ugly, IMO they look alot better in playing position than standing.

Comment

awesome longhorn

the new imports are pretty decent
          2011 USA Jackson Soloist
          2007 USA Jackson Soloist
          2007 USA BC Rich Warlock
          2009 Edwards ECY 165
          2009 Schecter Hellraiser
          2006 USA BC Rich Wave
          2012 Gibson LP Trad
          1981 USA BC Rich Mockingbird

Comment