NGD: Les Paul Axcess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Les Paul Axcess

Just took the plunge on this beauty. I've been intrigued by the concept and was certain I wanted to try one having never owned a LP before. I actually went to GC this weekend to try a Les Paul Traditional in ebony because it looked really sharp in pictures. Well, let's just say that the Traditional looked a whole lot better in pictures than it played and sounded in person.

On the wall was a heavily demo'd Axcess with lots of buckle rash and what not but I took the opportunity to check it out. Wow, it was seriously love at first feel. Beautiful guitar aesthetically but it also had the feel of a shredder unlike the two other LP's I tried which felt blocky, stiff and boring. Set up nicely, had a ripping tone with lots of versatility and was just so comfy and a real pleasure in all regards. I originally told myself I didn't want a chambered Les Paul but it doesn't seem to be a negative on this guitar.

Anyway, I was thinking I'd pick one up second hand for the $2,250-$2,500 range that I've seen on ebay every now and then but contacted a dealer and was offered this one which was more than that but I couldn't resist after seeing the pictures. Tops vary and these do come with nice ones overall but the used ones I was seeing were very plain or relatively mismatched.

In conclusion: Although I know that the purists say a Floyd has no place on a Les Paul, and that the prices are pretty high, if you are curious about them and are able to splurge I'd say go for it.

Last edited by Tonelover; 12-09-2009, 05:22 PM.

Nice top on that one.
    I agree about the tops on most of these,thats the best one I have seen so far.
    They do play well and I have been watching for the price to come down before I take the plunge.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've also been curious about the axcess. I've always seen alex lifesons guitar and admired it. I had a les paul classic for several years and I loved the guitar, but later came to terms that I paid too much for it. If I ever get another gibby, it will most likely be an axcess. That flamed top looks badass

Comment

Good for you! Glad you like it.

Personally, I don't give a crap if it's chambered, floyded, long tenon or short; as long as it sounds good and plays good, that's all that matters to me.

Helps if it looks good too

Comment

Looks heavy!
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

If I could only ever have one Les Paul it would be an axcess model, just for the body/neck joint alone.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks for the comments. They are thinner than the normal LP and most people's seem to be in the 8 pound range from what I gather although I have heard of some being less. It's not too light so it doesn't feel like it is a hollow piece of balsa wood, and not too heavy so it's not a boat anchor. My expectations due to the chambering were that it would feel very light but actually it is just about right as far as I am concerned.
              Last edited by Tonelover; 12-09-2009, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Good for you! Glad you like it.

Personally, I don't give a crap if it's chambered, floyded, long tenon or short; as long as it sounds good and plays good, that's all that matters to me.

Helps if it looks good too
                Agreed, for the most part don, but i have yet to play a chambered one that didnt sound, i dunno? Funky? Dont know how to explain it, just not as "full" i guess.

Tone- that is one cool guitar, does the floyd feel different than a tunomatic? I mean, is it physically closer to the body? It looks that way from the pics.
                Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

My thing about LP's is that I've never had the chance to play a good one that is solid through and through so I can't compare. I wish I could because I am dying to personally experience what a good, solid pre-weight releived, pre-chambered LP sounds like.

Action with a Floyd vs. Tuneomatic doesn't matter, you can just adjust both to taste. The Floyd only feels different when you bend strings or rest your picking hand on the bridge because it moves under both circumstances which affects the intonation of the other strings.

Comment

awesome that was my back up choice when I bought mine (Gibson sent the dealer pics of 5 for me to pick from)

Btw mine has become my main player
                    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
                      Agreed, for the most part don, but i have yet to play a chambered one that didnt sound, i dunno? Funky? Dont know how to explain it, just not as "full" i guess.
                      I've only played a few. I remember one in particular at Nashville GC, red burst, and it was muddy as hell. Not to say they all are....

I have 4 LP's but they are all solid or normal weight relieved.

Comment

Apparently, they do make an Axcess with a regular stop tail.

I have yet to see one "in the flesh" though.

Comment

Cool, yours is a beaut. I would have had a hard time choosing. The three that are left are no comparison.

Originally posted by gtrbuyer View Post
                          awesome that was my back up choice when I bought mine (Gibson sent the dealer pics of 5 for me to pick from)

Btw mine has become my main player

Comment

I love the idea of a LP with a Floyd. I just don't want it recessed...
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by Tonelover View Post
                              My thing about LP's is that I've never had the chance to play a good one that is solid through and through so I can't compare. I wish I could because I am dying to personally experience what a good, solid pre-weight releived, pre-chambered LP sounds like.

Action with a Floyd vs. Tuneomatic doesn't matter, you can just adjust both to taste. The Floyd only feels different when you bend strings or rest your picking hand on the bridge because it moves under both circumstances which affects the intonation of the other strings.
                              not talking about the action, talking about the bridge height.... and why i hate recessed floyds, they change my picking angle.
                              Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X