My First Custom Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Custom Guitar

well, this is the draft of my first guitar made by luthiers, This planned to be Necktrough, FloydRose, 7 strings and 26 frets with LEDs in the Shark-tooth Inlays of MOP
    transparent black finish
    Is based on the fusion of a Jackson Kelly with a RR, is my own design, I have planned everything from the shape to the distances of the frets, pickups, routing, etc

Wood:
    Body: Cedar and Guatambú (native wood of South America)
    body Top: Quilted Maple
    Neck: Neck through Guatambú
    Fretboard: Ebony

Hardware: (coming soon)
    Super XXL Jumbo frets
    tuners: ESP
    Bridge: FloydRose 7
    Pickups:
    Seymour Duncan Blackouts 7
    EMG PA2 Gain Booster
    Jack: Neutrix Locking

opinions?

Here a video recorded by me, making a Test of another "caparison style" Guitar of my Friend Luthier VALDOVINOS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8VOcT0Mlbc

The song was composed by me, is part of a theme I play with my band Queen Raven www.myspace.com/ravenqueen1

Opinions of all kinds are welcome! thanks!

Comment

Looks killer man post pics when its finished.

Comment

I always thought cedar would be too soft to use as a tonewood. Looks kind of like one of those kelly stars or fastars or something. Looking forward to seeing the quilt when it gets a finish on it.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Hey Fed!

I checked out a couple of your YT clips, nice chops, man!
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RR666 View Post
            Looks killer man post pics when its finished.
            !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have high hopes for this :|

Comment

Looks great so far!
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Whoa - cool design, but some of those cuts look pretty rough. What are they using for tools? A stone chisel and a sledgehammer?
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Looks like that Guatambú is hard. It resembles Walnut in looks. Nice combo.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Looks a lot nicer than I would have thought if somebody had suggested that bodyshape combo.

Good work.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Thanks to all comments! I really Appreciate it!

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      I always thought cedar would be too soft to use as a tonewood. Looks kind of like one of those kelly stars or fastars or something. Looking forward to seeing the quilt when it gets a finish on it
                      the way I chose the final design was somewhat like this:
                      I wanted a RR, very sexy and aggressive look, but I hate practicing with "V shape" Guitars, I can´t find a way of rest it conveniently, usually play the guitar in classical position, with the guitar between my legs resting on the right thigh, so the horn of the Kelly was the solution! it would rely on my left thigh and the middle of the V between my Right thigh, and It would Still looks evil
                      I softens the angles of the V so that my leg could fit between the wings, and then the rest of the guitar to follow a same line (less straight lines) wings and horns seemed a bit long, so I cut them out a bit, the result is what you see RR-Warrior-Kelly?
                      I did all that work first in AUTOCAD, then I made several prototypes in isopor (polystyrene foam) until it reached the final design

(with respect to the cedar answer below)

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      Whoa - cool design, but some of those cuts look pretty rough. What are they using for tools? A stone chisel and a sledgehammer?
                      there is still too much to carve, I don´t know specifically what tools he used but the fine work is done with hand tools, for the Body design and the body cavities used a router

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                      Looks like that Guatambú is hard. It resembles Walnut in looks. Nice combo.
                      yes! the Guatambú is very Hard (but not brittle) we seek a wood as hard as possible to allow the neck to be thin without compromising strength
                      the Guatambú is a relatively bright tone wood, so we looked for another relatively warm-deep wood to combine, the result: Cedar
                      What other options could have used? Mahogany?:think:
                      Last edited by DrJackson; 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post

That's what I was thinking. Looks like they used a hammer and chisel. Either that or a trained chipmunk chewed those cavities out.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Looks amazing
                          "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                          Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Working...
                          X