X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few comments

How are you guys?

Ok, just two little things:

1) Me and a group of other people here people think it would be really nice to have a section called "Recording" on the board. This would be different to the mp3 submissions and would be reserved to discuss the technical aspects of the recording process (my main interest personally). As always this comment is not intended to push the admins or anything and if anything is required to make this true I am willing to help.

2) Please check out the poll on amps that I opened yesterday!.... we are having a competition (friendly) between Marshalls and Mesas to see which one is the has the tone people prefer the most!... I think some interesting results ar coming out!... (guess who is winning!.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Re: A few comments

have you ever checked out HArmony Central's recording board. Lotsa members and lotsa guys who really know their stuff.

I as well am really interested in recording and the subtle art of bringing a mix all together.

Compression, verbs, mic'ing, mixing, eq'ing, are delicate arts and takes a while to understand how to set up sounds properly in a mix etc.

I love playng around with all the DX/VST plugs in CubaseSX, a person can learn quite a bit by flipping a few switches and knobs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Gemini... the harmony central recording board is neat!... I didn't use that part of the site before... I will use it from now on, thanks.

I still think we would benefit having a part of this board dedicated to that since we have some users here with some expertise.

Comment

I went to recording school for awhile, and I've done some second-engineering. I'd be happy to share what I know in exchange for more knowledge!!

Comment

yeah a recording section would be really cool.. seems a lot of people here are either experts on the subject or are willing to learn about it all [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes this section would be cool.

There are two other good resources out there: Recording.org and prosoundweb. Both (especially prosoundweb) have many real pro members so there is definitely much to learn. On the other hand the talk there is mostly over Neve,Api,Manley and so on and not about Behringer and Mackie [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Flo
            http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

ID: I am checking those sites... I think what we want here is more like a resource to help hear each other's tone... there are pro sites but you cannot go there to ask how to get yourself setup recording at home for US$200.

Bert: That's a good point. However right now there is confusion with respect to where to ask those questions (not usually poster under mp3 submissions). If you look under "Amps and effects" you will see that there are lots of questions about mics and sound cards and so on.

Comment

The whole point of the MP3 section was exactly that, to be able to post and discuss recordings. I'm not sure how changing the name enhances the value of the folder. If you post a recording or have a question there are that and other areas ..IE Technique etc for that ..
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Kevin, it's just that I am not sure where a question about, for example, a microphone should go. Some people decide to post those under mp3 submissions, some people do under amps and effects, and others do it in technical. It has become difficult for me to track where exactly the answers to those questions are...

I also feel that if the mp3 folder gets full of technical questions, then the mp3s will get lost in the pile....

I guess what I mean is that the mp3 section was agreat idea and therefore has people's interest in recording has expanded here in the forum...

It is just an idea and people seemed to agree... this forum is the best, no doubt!

[ May 04, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
                    The whole point of the MP3 section was exactly that, to be able to post and discuss recordings. I'm not sure how changing the name enhances the value of the folder. If you post a recording or have a question there are that and other areas ..IE Technique etc for that ..
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah but its called MP3 Submissions and the 'Technique' one says something like "general playing issues" under the description.. so it gets confusing when it comes to posting recording questions about mixers, mics, software, etc.

"I also feel that if the mp3 folder gets full of technical questions, then the mp3s will get lost in the pile...." - Rodrigo

exactly.. I didn't want to be an a$$ and knock peoples .mp3's to the bottom by posting technical stuff lol..

[ May 04, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Lev ]

Comment

This is like a multiple choice test, choose the best forum available.

Comment

Why not just rename the MP3 Submissions section MP3 Submissions & Recording? That seciton is often used for discussing recording techniques already, since the best way to learn about recording is to post samples of your work and receive feedback.

Comment

While writing an extensive answer to support the administrators view on this, i realised that Rodrigo is right. When you have an equipment related technical recording issue, perhaps supported by an mp3, you have NO obvious forum (section) to go to.

Today, these grains of gold lies scattered around the forums of this board.

A rename/new description of some forums or a new "Tech Recording" forum placed under "Equipment" would come in handy.
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks Jackson1 that's exactly what I meant originally. It's just a little change to encourage the growing interest of this topic on this board.

I am also very impressed to find out that ACE has a degree in recording and Lev is going to Berklee in September to get study recording and production. It is indeed a beautiful topic.

If the admins consider there is no need I respect the decision and support it. I wont mention it again.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

[ May 05, 2003, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

HOLD ON!! I DON'T have a degree in recording, I just went to school for it for awhile. My friend who was the other guitar player in one of my bands and is the executive producer of LA Metal actually has his recording degree, and works as a audio engineer. I just took some classes and hung around the studio for a few months and picked up a few tricks. I'll be happy to offer all of my knowledge, and if there are any questions that I can't awnser, I can maybe help point people in the right way. I am however, NOT a professional audio engineer.

Comment

Working...
                              X