Pickup recommendation for a Charvel 650XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendation for a Charvel 650XL

Which of these pickups do you recommend for the bridge position of my Charvel 650 Custom: Bill Lawrence L-500XL, Dimarzio X2N or Seymour Duncan Distortion?

I used to have two EMGs (81 and 85) in a Jackson Fusion. I like their power, but not the sterile sound they have sometimes.

I want the pickups to be passive, but the bridge pickup should be powerful enough for 80s metal rythm (even thrash metal!) and not too noisy for soloing.

What couple of single coils pickups would be appropriate to accompany the bridge pickup?

I am tempted to try a L-500XL, a L-280SM (middle) and a L-250HP (neck), with a Q-Filter for the neck and bridge positions. Perhaps, turning on the Q-Filter will balance the sound when combining the L-500XL with the L-280SM. What do you think of this combination? Is it worthwhile waiting two months?

Thanks!

[ May 02, 2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: agresivo ]

Re: Pickup recommendation for a Charvel 650XL

the x2n is a great high distortion humbucker, next would come the duncan distortion, then the BL

Comment

Isn't this topic in another thread, under Import Charvels? I awnsered this question that.

Comment

The first time I plugged into an axe with an X2N I was blow away...total high gain pup...very impressive.

- Joel
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

I may try the L-500XL, since I want something to be good for both lead and rythm. The X2N might be too hot for me, while a L-500XL with a QFilter seems to be more versatile. I can only see praises for this pickup in Harmony Central!

[ May 03, 2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: agresivo ]

Comment

my 95 RR came with XL500's stock and they are also killer pups. A bit more versatile than the X2N's so that sounds like the way to go for you.
            Make sure you get the REAL Lawrence pickups.
            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
            RIP Dime

Comment

Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.

I agree with your opinion on EMG's
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well, I ordered 3 Bill Lawrence pickups 3 months ago and I haven't received yet.

In the mean time I've put a J-90C on my Charvel and it sounds great! I'm scared of the possibility of liking the Jackson pickup more than the L-500XL I ordered. For the time I'm waiting, I hope the Lawrence is even better than the J-90C!!

Comment

Working...
                X