Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth It?

The Jackson Stars RR-J2SP. Quite a lovely guitar, that has been out of production from the Jackson Stars line. I am quite lucky at the moment to have on hold (once again) from the Ishibashi web shop. They've been very kind and have been talking back and forth and trying to earn the money for this lovely guitar. I'm finally almost at my goal which the total cost, shipping and all would be about $1668.00 USD. Here is a picture of the guitar for those interested in just the fine looks of this guitar...

(more pictures here: http://1484.bz/c/38313/ I also own this guitar a very fine Jackson Limited Ed. RR24 with some hardware swaps...

...I only present that because people have both been trying to talk me out and talk me into getting this guitar... the Jackson Stars^^. I love Jackson guitars and RR's and could never get sick of them, but it is something I don't really need, but I'm sure everyone can say that about every guitar they get and is presented on this board. We all just REALLY want them! I'm only seriously concerned with this guitar because of the lovely color and design, and it is completely out of production. So I may never get my chance again at this price. This would also be the most high priced guitar I've ever bought. As for specs of the guitar for those who really want to get a better idea. The floyd rose is schaller licensed, but I know another poster from another forum (I think he might even post here?) who has this exact guitar and he sais the difference in use and playability in the schaller and OFR are par none, as he has both and could give me a good description. The pickup I believe is a EMG-HZ and it comes with a little toggle switch that is the EMG-PA2 booster. I haven't heard much info about those, so I'm pretty clueless, but I can always replace pickups, but replacing a Floyd Rose I'm really not looking into as they can be quite expensive, but from what I've heard the Schaller is just as good and no worries! So... what are your opinions fellow Jackson lovers? Should I go for this deal?

- Andrew

Sweet price for a sweet guitar.
    Leave the Schaller on it. Just as good as a Floyd, plus you would have to route the body or have custom string lock screws made to get a Floyd on there.
    -Rick

Comment

Sorry for playing devils advocate, but unless you are not in the states (which is a distict posibility from your writing style, word choice etc.), it would seem to me that once you go above $1200, you are in USA made RR territory (and at $1600+ - you are even talking San Dimas RR at that if you watch the bay). At that point, pound for pound, I would argue to get a USA. Dont get me wrong, very nice RR, just a thought on what you are getting for your money. If you are not in the states, then this commentary might not be worth anything to you. Cheers.
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. $1600+ for a guitar that will need a pickup swap, I'm no fan of EMG-HZ's. I know the quality is good, but you really already have a model just like that. But for that scratch, I'd try to get a USA one or like RR05XX said, watch the bay for a decent San Dimas or Custom Shop that can fall in that price range. It's a sweet guitar, but $1600 sweet? Not to me.
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

These two guys above me make a really good point! Fuck having 24 frets etc.. I'd take a San Dimas RR over any other guitar on this world (except another Jackson USA RR Custom ofcourse).

Comment

Haha I got Nazgul hitting me up on all forums. :ROTF: Thanks for all the input guys. Yes I do live in the states. I really need to put my location up on these forums. I've never really heard anything about the quality and playability of the San Dimas one's. I'm only very interested in this guitar because out of all the paintjob colors etc. THIS is the one I've always liked the most. This and the fancy one Nazgul has, with the white pinstripes and Gold Hardware. All very nice guitars. I know it's a lot of money and I'm stuck on whether to spend it or not. Such a hard decision, but I may never get a chance at getting this exact guitar pretty much. Nazgul though has just brought another important issue at hand. He sais "it will have a narrower neck width at the nut than your RR24. If you're used to the RR24 and don't like anything else, you probably won't like it that much. This is the reason why I sold mine - I was just used too much to the 1 11/16" nut widths on my other Jacksons." I myself have some different guitars, Strats, Ibanez PGM301 and even a Les Paul, but I do play my Jackson RR24 the most. I wish I could get a feel for this guitar before I buy it or try a guitar very similar in neck size. Wondering if it really was enough to make such a drastic change?

EDIT: On JacksonGuitarPalace Nazgul also said about the nut width that "It has 1 5/8" inch width at nut. I believe strats have the same, but I'm not 100% sure." I have 3 different strats, one being a Iron Maiden signature, another that has a vintage '57 neck, and another with a warmoth birdseye maple neck. If anyone can help claim that I can always try out some of my strats which all seem to play very nice in my hands.
            Last edited by Sir Royal Eddie; 05-19-2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I saw an 1996-97 Rhoads on the bay (Poplar body) in great shape fro around $1,400.00

Is the board on the RR-J2SP ebony or "striped ebony?"

Comment

Pretty sure Ebony.

Comment

A USA Rhoads - even a San Dimas - will not have 24 frets. If that's your primary interest (and the one-humness), then you will not find a USA Rhoads with 24 frets and a single pickup and a Floyd for $1600. $2500, yes, maybe even more, as it will be a used Custom Shop. Double that if you order one.

Only you can decide if it's a good deal, and only you can make the call between a USA and the JacksonStars for the same price. Neither one will increase in value, so resale is not an issue. All it boils down to is which one has the features you want most.

As I understand it, the RR24 is made by the same people who make the JacksonStars, so either way you're getting the same guitar with minor differences.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A fellow member on the Megadeth forums, Nick who I believe post here too? Said this about the stars...
                    "Truesdale (Megadeth Forum poster) played my Jackson Star NASL and bought his Jackson Stars Kelly because of how well it played.

it will be "one step up" from your RR24.."

Comment

Yeah the NASL kicks all ass. I've got 4 of them.

However, the RR24 appears to be identical to the J-Stars RR with the exception of reversed fins and OFR and the pickup. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the RR24 was simply a Semi-Custom RRJ-1.

All Japanese-made Jacksons are made in the same facility as the JacksonStars, it's just that the JacksonStars are the Japanese-market brand name since "Jackson" is already taken over there for something else.

A note about "striped ebony" vs "ebony" - ebony is ebony. All manufacturers dye their boards black-as-Sully's-soul, even Jackson. Both of my Custom Shops have dyed boards. It comes off on my fingers. At first I thought it was crud where someone had been playing them before shipping them to me, but it's dye residue.
                      Striped ebony is simply ebony that has not been dyed.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If that guitar was a woman, she'd get my jack socket!

Lovely looking axe. Do Jackson make the best looking guitars?.. I think so!!

Cheers

Matty

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Royal Eddie View Post
                          Pretty sure Ebony.
                          I think that for the same amount of money you could get one of the TN01's with the string through body...

Those look sweet,,,gold hardware too. Looks like hte one Marty Friedman used to play in the 80's (accept a Jackson stars version with 24 frets), Mop headstock logo too.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Neither one will increase in value, so resale is not an issue. .
                            All original San Dimas RR in 20-30 years? Heck, they're going up in prices right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X