Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok...is this nuts to do to a perfect PC-1 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok...is this nuts to do to a perfect PC-1 ??

Thinking of sending this off the Mike Learn for a killer Samuari graphic..
    after all... the quilt on most...(this one certainly) is barely visible.
    90% of the time, it just looks like a black Jackson...only in bright light
    do you see the shadow quilt.. Now dont get me wrong, if this were a
    beautiful Chlorine i wouldnt even consider it! Your thoughts?
    A couple of JCF'ers were a bit miffed that "Grave Digger" (my brother in
    law's Learn graphic) was a DKMG import..) So this would be a $1900
    USA PC-1 with Sustainer...and a custom Learn graphic! Do it? Or
    don't even consider this blasfemy ?

These 2 pics are with a ton of light ! Mostly you would just figure it was plain black...
    you rarely can see the quilt in normal light...

Last edited by Robert Burns; 04-30-2008, 07:55 PM.

Your guitar....Do as you wish.
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Go for it. Post pics when its done.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Maybe some kind of graphic that incorporates the quilt?
        Make the top look like storm clouds around Mt Fuji?
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
          Maybe some kind of graphic that incorporates the quilt?
          Make the top look like storm clouds around Mt Fuji?
          that would be cool, to use the quilt as part of the graphics

Comment

I never understood why anyone would want a see-thru black finish.
            Like you said, you can barely see the quilted top.

I've always seen it as a waste of a perfectly good top cause like you said if it were chlorine we'd all want it!

Go ape shit on that thing and do it justice.
            Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
            Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

I'd get an unfinished body (Mojo, Warmoth) and send that for him to paint. You can swap the PC1's neck and bridge onto that if you want, and you can always swap back later and still have an intact PC1.

Comment

Works for me. There's no easy way to lighten the black to make the quilt more visible.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                  I'd get an unfinished body (Mojo, Warmoth) and send that for him to paint. You can swap the PC1's neck and bridge onto that if you want, and you can always swap back later and still have an intact PC1.
                  ** Hey thanks...that's a different option..plus im not taking a chance
                  on screwing around with the electronics of the sustainer..and all the
                  mini switches too. Thanks for that heads up!

Comment

I think it's a beautiful guitar, i wouldn't throw a graphic on it. But hey, it's yours, so do as you wish...
                    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

It really comes down to this - will you be happy you did it after? Mikes amazing, no question there and whatever he does for you will be awesome. But will you miss the current look of the guitar if you have it painted? Is there anything special about the current finish to you?

I'd say go for it, make the guitar uniquely your own. You can always buy another pc1
                      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Have fun with it.
                        As you said, it does have a very bland quilt top.

But if you do want to go with getting a Mojo body, I could help you with the electronics.
                        You're local, so it would be fairly easy.
                        I've done complete tear downs on more than enough PC1's that I can almost do it with my eyes closed.
                        -Rick

Comment

How thick is the quilted maple? Maybe Mike can keep the quilt, lose the black, and come up with an entirely different look using multiple transparent colors.
                          1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                          Jackson SLATQH
                          Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
                          Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
                          Jackson DKMGT (project)
                          Kramer Focus 1000
                          Ibanez SDGR Bass
                          Ovation Celebrity
                          Martin Backpacker

Comment

The Maple tops are 1/8" thick.
                            The problem is how deep has the finish penetrated into the top.
                            You may lose too much of the top in the process of stripping the old finish.
                            It would be a crap shoot.

Although if some of the black was still there in the grain and then a rich red stain was applied, that could make for a killer finish as well.

I hate the fact that Jackson has decided to paint the bodies black on some of the newer model finishes.
                            The Mahogany bodies look awesome with a nice clear coat over them.
                            -Rick

Comment

I think it's purty as is.
                              But, it's yours... and all in favor of making it more yours.
                              Seems too dark for a graphic over quilt... but who knows????
                              Just to stimulate the creative side of your brain... Here's my absolute fav finish over quilt I've ever seen... (not one of mine)
                              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                              X