Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about purchasing a Jackson (DKMGT)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about purchasing a Jackson (DKMGT)...

However, I have a question that maybe someone here can help me with. I was wondering how the 20db boost works when you change pickups? Does it work the same? Or is that something that will only work with the stock pickups? Not a huge concern as I don't see myself changing the pickups, but I am still curious. Thanks in advance for any help!

SSDT

Re: Thinking about purchasing a Jackson (DKMGT)...

This is well off-topic, but welcome to the boards! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

From EMG:

"The EMG-AB (Afterburner) The AB is a push/pull booster with up to 20dB of preset variable gain, perfect for having fun with Clean Overdrive and Distortion. It works with both active and passive pickups, uses rail-to-rail technology and is easy to install."

I owned a DKMG for a few months and always had the impression that the afterburner is a pretty useless gadget though... IMO...

[ April 27, 2003, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Is there a difference between the afterburner and the turbocharger?

Well, I own a DKMGT, and I swapped the HZs for a Seymour Duncan JB/'59 combo.
        The guys at the music store said the turbocharger wouldn't work with those and took it out.
        I don't mind, because with the Seymours I don't need the booster at all, and I got a second volume knob instead (yeehaw! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

But still I think the turbocharger would work with other pickups as well. At least with passives.
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I just have to say that I have been fighting with EMG's new website and it sucks!... big time!... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

How can you make something and not even put it in your products catalogue?

Your question is good, it upsets me not to know the answer... I am working on it...

for now, it seems the difference between the two is that the turbocharger converts the passive pickups to active and it does need to work with the specific set of HZs that they put in the new jacksons.... that is not the case for the afterburner... both increase the gain by up to 20db.

ah, dont get the idea that because those pickups say "EMG" on them you got a set of EMGs at home... no, ya dont!....

What I would do with a DKMG would be install the Zakk Wylde set (not that I care about the guy) and replace the silly afterburner by an EXG circuit... I am a big advocate of those things and I will never be tired of being... once you have the guitar like this, you will be in tonal glory amen.

Sell the afterburner to a kid that plays Blink182...

[ April 27, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. One more question has come to mind tho, and I completely forgot to ask. I've read that the low E string pops out of the nut due to the reverse head stock. Is this true? Has anyone here ever had that happen? Thanks again!

SSDT

Comment

Working...
            X