87 Jackson strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Jackson strat

I purchased this guitar used, and it has a "non-floyd" nut on it. (like a kahler) The guitar would rate about a 9 out 10 as far as the condition. If I put an OFR on it, should I cut a floyd nut in, or live with the one thats on it? I personally don't care if it has a couple small holes from the old nut, but I wanted to get some opinions. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: 87 Jackson strat

I had an '87ish Jackson Strat until recently. It had an OFR and a JT6 Kahler type nut set up and it stayed in tune just fine. I also have an '86 Soloist with factory OFR and Kahler behind the nut locknut and that one works well also. Just try the JT6 nut with the Floyd and see how it works. If it slips, then go ahead and change it.

Comment

I've never owned a soloist

Comment

It's a bolt-on strat

Comment

I know, I've never owned a strat either.

you see, I am so immersed in the Jackson Culture that I don't even recognize strats as "strats" anymore. Everything that looks conventional is a Soloist or Dinky. Fender just makes a wussy version. called the "not-so-soloist"

[ April 26, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: the_drip ]

Comment

as Jim stated the behind the nut locking kahler type will work just fine. I have one that I left that way but on a few others I put the OFR nut on there. There realy is no removing of wood unless you elect to do the thru the back of the neck approach. I just top mount mine. All you have to do is remove the existing nut, make a shim so the OFR mounts level and top mount it.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn, i would very much like to see how it turns out designwise when you replace the old type (JT6?) to an OFR nut. Could you post a picture of that?
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

here you go. I'll try to take some pix of a side view so you can see the nut shims this weekend. I have to take some pics for my auctions anyway.

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...c;f=5;t=000201

http://home.swbell.net/lutz_13/page21.html
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Back when I would get "cheap" Charvel's in that people wanted the locknuts upgraded on, I would just remove the locknut and regular nut then use a smooth mill file to shape the wood down for the Floyd nut. Then I would countersink the two mounting holes on the locknuts face and use two flat topped woodscrews to mount it from the face. Those worked fine. I have an '89 Jackson Dinky as well that has a factory screwed from the top Floyd nut. Do they do that still?

Comment

Concurr with the comments here -- keep the Kahler-style nut -- they work fine. If you have any problems, just make sure the string slots on the nut are wide enough, and/or put a little bit of graphite in there to keep the strings from binding.

Comment

erm... Jim, if you're asking if they still top mount floyd nuts... that's all they've been doing for the last decade and a half or so. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, they stopped doing the floyd nut with the mounting screws from the back of the neck in the mid 80's. Made the necks too fragile and there was much breakage.

As for replacing the Kahler nut and original nut with a Floyd type... do it if you want. If you're not having any problems with the Kahler nut, why though?
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                      X