Jackson San Dimas ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson San Dimas ID

Anyone help on IDing my Jackson San Dimas Strat?
    Jackson bolt on neck, ebony(?) with dots, pointy head with Jackson logo with Made in USA after N and small R above N. Jackson tuners.
    Ferrari Red with Floyd Rose.
    San Dimas neck plate serial #1820.
    HSS with Jackson pickups, one volume and 3 mini toggles.
    Pocket and neck have following markings:
    March 16, 1987
    Mark Gellert
    1H2SC
    FR
    RF

The serial # doesn't seem to
    jive with the Jackson list and the 1987 marking. The lists say that 1987 production was moved to Ontario, yet this has a San Dimas neck plate.
    I have seen copies of the original work orders up to #1000. Anyone know where to find the work order that would include later serial # including my #1820?

This is a great guitar and just want a little history.
    Any help appreciated.

Added pictures
    Like to have you check them out and get some feedback and possible history of this guitar.

Thanks guys

JDSD
    Last edited by jdsd; 01-21-2008, 07:41 PM. Reason: Added picture links

Pretty sure San Dimas neck plates were used after the move to Ontario. Not really unusual to see that.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Any opinions on quality from Jackson Ontario shop circa 1987?

Comment

SD neck plates were used all the way up until 1989.
        If the serial is below 1506, it's a real SD.
        Ontario built Jackson's are still great guitars.
        -Rick

Comment

im also under the impression some plates past 1506 are also dimas. my 42xx has date of 10/86, while the 1200 plated strat i had was dated 12/86

Comment

J2379, you sure the plate is original? I've never heard of a post 1505 neckplate belonging to an '86 guitar that has ever been confirmed to match the Jackson logs.
            In fact, oddly enough I also had a Jackson with what were clearly san dimas era parts, all appropriately dated in '86 and with '86 work order numbers (under the finish so unlikely to be faked), but with a 42XX neckplate. Used to be you could e-mail Jackson and they would look up a guitar's specs based on the S/N, so I did that and sadly found that the neck plate had come off an '88 with different specs altogether.

Comment

That's some sneakamus maximus business.

Comment

Bert
                Are the Jackson logs available for the 1800s numbers?

Comment

Bert no i havent verified the serial#s. & yes i have seen a few serial#s higher than 1505 that were dated as 86's. just because it was made in 86 doesnt mean it was made in the glendora factory. it wasnt like they just closed up shop & moved everything to ontario in a day. if 1505 is the cut off for dimas plates IMHO the higher #s were brought to ontario, so if a guitar was started in one factory or at least neck & body cut then moved for completion it would have one of the non sequential higher plates, but still be an 86. in the serial sheet it lists all 86's as san dimas when in fact the later part of 86 would have been an Ontario made guitar or at least completed there.

& the Jackson logs were available for all serial#s IIRC, tho they will not do serial# inquiries anymore. funny thing i bought my soloist from the original owner, he ordered a different neck profile 1 3/4nut & a custom color red W/blue pearl. the jackson log has it as being shipped to huntington beach,ca Sam Ash, but the guitar was ordered & purchased at the Huntington, NY sam ash. Although he didnt have the receipt, i have to say i believed him. he had 3 other dimas era jacksons 2 of them were basic customs a rhoads & soloist he bought at that sam ash. he liked them so much he had another rhoads & soloist custom ordered. wish i had the $ at the time to buy the 2 rhoads he had. ramble ramble......

Comment

Yeah I'm with ya. There are undoubtedly some 1505 and lesser that were assembled outside of san dimas, but they do seem to consistently have features you don't *typically* find on >1505 guitars such as small control cover, right angle tuners, single coil slots with the tab, and so on.

It is a shame you can't get any info out of Jackson these days on these guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
                      That's some sneakamus maximus business.
                      It's still a killer guitar. I eventually found a "period correct" neckplate for it and have it on there now, not that it matters all that much since it's still not the original one (well, I suppose it's possible it is... 1 in 1505 chance anyway!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        It's still a killer guitar. I eventually found a "period correct" neckplate for it and have it on there now, not that it matters all that much since it's still not the original one (well, I suppose it's possible it is... 1 in 1505 chance anyway!)
                        other than to collectors i doesnt make a shits difference especially since its still a correct type plate, now that they cant be verified. im really GASing for another bolton jackson.

Comment

Made in USA after the N and not under it I would think its an Ontario Jackson.
                          Serial #s were not in sequence 86 thru 89.Still a killer quality guitar.
                          True some were started in Glendora and finished in Ontario.
                          I have a friend who has one in the 1300 range and it has the small electronics cavity route SD and was originaly a Kahler.It has the 90% tuners and brass strap buttons.He ordered it in late 85 along with a Charvel strat head (5490) and both were delivered in early 86.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have seen a few '86s with the made in usa after the logo (and own one like this: #1266 which you can check out in the gallery), but if you look closely you can see that what they would do was cut the "made in usa" from the bottom of the decal and move it after the logo so that it would fit better on the headstock.

Comment

Help with history and identifying Jackson SD Strat

Added pictures to original post.
                              Like to have you all take a look and get some feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff
                              Last edited by jdsd; 01-20-2008, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X