Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

attention screw counters!!!!! was the 83 namm rhoads models gibson scale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attention screw counters!!!!! was the 83 namm rhoads models gibson scale?

DISCLAIMER: this is by no means negatively intended. just something that has transpired this evening, and imo, a kickass topic to discuss.

in discussing the lost rhoads with mayday tonight, i was speaking of how the differences between jcf01 and the original guitar always bugged me. we started looking closer and found these differences:

- the logo is wrong (the J isn't the same)
    - the pickups are the wrong color (b/w on jcf01, b/creme on original)
    - the v plate is closer to the bridge (and larger) on the original than jcf01.
    - the pickguard reaches higher up the body on the original than jcf01; see how the tip extends past the neck pickup on the original? jcf 01's stops at the neck pickup.
    - the controls are spaced closer together on the original than jcf01.
    - the original's body joins the neck at the top of the 18th fret instead of at the bottom of the 19th fret on jcf 01 (which is an RR1 body). the difference is about 5/8 of an inch.
    - the pickups are closer together on the original than jcf01.
    - the bridge is angled on the original while jcf 01 is straight.

as we were speaking, we've come to the theory that the namm rhoads models were 24.75 scale, not 25.5. now, this was a theory floated soon after jcf01 was shipped and received, but it wasn't discussed. it would make sense if randy's guitars were 24.75, considering he loved his les paul.

so what i did was take the namm rhoads pic and compare it with the 25th anniversary rhoads model. i used the 25th, because i know that the 25th anniversary rhoads is a 25.5 scale guitar, and i had a good pic of it that would match up well with the namm rhoads pic. i then put the 25th over the namm rhoads, and made the 25th transparent so we can compare it better. i used the pole pieces on the neck pickup as my reference point, along where the nut is, because the headstock and body shapes will be different, but neck pickups haven't changed (there's no F spaced neck pickups). as you look, you'll see that the 25th's frets are spaced out wider than the namm rhoads, which suggests that the namm rhoads is truly 24.75 scale. i'll post the pix that we've looked at below.

first, jcf 01:

then the namm rhoads:

the other thing that i looked at is how the intonation is set on both guitars. assuming that both guitars are intonated, scroll back up and look at the difference between them.

finally, here's the comparison pic:

and finally, another comparison shot:

the comparison shots may not be dead on, but it's very close, and you can see that there's a fret spacing difference.

i was going to use a jcf01 pic in the comparison but the pix that i have of it are not as of high res as the 25th pic that i have. since i know that jcf01 and the 25th rhoads are both 25.5 scale, it doesn't matter.

so, if the namm rhoads models were 24.75 scale, is the original concorde? i'll look at the display pix that were posted awhile back and see if there's a good shot that i can use to compare them. but think of this: if randy's jackson guitars were 24.75 scale, the PCS series are wrong, the LTDs are wrong, hell, the RR model is kinda wrong when you think of it (unless randy said that he wanted a 25.5 scale guitar).

...so does this mean we can order 24.75 LTD style guitars without a hassle?

what do you guys think? and is there anyone who can properly scale a pic?

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

I would suggest to do an accurate rendering into Autocad,
    the pictures would have to be dead straight on, or angled exactly the same.

Your point is obvious from the body joint, but it doesn't tell me exactly the scale
    length. And, the logo does look a bit primitave.

Comment

Wow, good topic. I never really thought about it, but it makes sense that Randy's guitars would be 24.75 scale. I wonder why it was changed.

I checked the photos I took of his guitar and they aren't the same angle as the ones you posted. I had to take them at an angle due to the reflection in the glass. Maybe someone else had better luck.

Comment

Randy loved his Les Paul
        He was a small guy
        The lost Rhoads had a thick chunky neck ..

it makes sense ...

When I get back to work on Wed I plan on converting the pictures to cad and see if I can get actual scaled readings ...
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

about the logo, don't get me wrong; it's actually my favorite jackson logo, but the curve of the J is a little teeeeny bit narrower than the original.

sully
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Wow, cool topic!

In a guitar mag (GW?) about a year ago, there was an article about this lost Rhoads and the dude who has it now. The guy was obviously using it to promote his CD as he and the guitar are on the cover, but maybe those pics can also be helpful. I don't remember him mentioning the scale length though. We can maybe look him up and just ask him!

I would figure Mike Shannon himself or even Grover would remember an integral change as the scale length, especially since the Charvels/Jacksons of that era were 25.5, but maybe not. Hell, if this isn't the first 24.75 scale Charvels/Jackson, then which one was?
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

here's a shot of the jcf01 logos:

Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

one person that could help with this is our very own diego; he has the 3rd guitar that had a messed up neck angle, so it was a case template for many years. rob lane bought it from grover, had mike fix it and complete it. now diego has it. perhaps he can measure the scale of his for us.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I would figure Mike Shannon himself or even Grover would remember an integral change as the scale length, especially since the Charvels/Jacksons of that era were 25.5, but maybe not. Hell, if this isn't the first 24.75 scale Charvels/Jackson, then which one was?

Mike's an awesome guy but sometimes his memory isn't quite the best for stuff like that ..
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                    Randy loved his Les Paul
                    He was a small guy
                    The lost Rhoads had a thick chunky neck ..

it makes sense ...

When I get back to work on Wed I plan on converting the pictures to cad and see if I can get actual scaled readings ...
                    I have Acad 2000i here, but don't have much experience in rendering from bmp's...could you give a tip on how I can do it?

Comment

is there a better file format you can try? i can convert it to something else if that would help.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                        is there a better file format you can try? i can convert it to something else if that would help.

sully
                        Correction:I have little experience rendereing from anything at all, I use Autocad to make drawings. So, any help, and pm me for an email address to send the best pictures available, and I can give it a shot.

Comment

ah, gotcha.

well, the best pic that i have of the original namm rhoads is in this thread; you can DL it and give it a go if you like. sounds like it would be pretty labor intensive, though, if you have to draw the whole thing.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If the angles of the photos are off slightly and the guitars aren't sized correctly, it's gonna be really difficult to tell. It looks like you have the JCF01 scaled just a little to large when comparing actual pickup sizes (not considering pickup rings).
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              If the angles of the photos are off slightly and the guitars aren't sized correctly, it's gonna be really difficult to tell. It looks like you have the JCF01 scaled just a little to large when comparing actual pickup sizes (not considering pickup rings).
                              I was going to initiate scale from the pup size, but if I can render it accurately, I can scale from the srew sizes. Autocad is some amazing stuff, when used correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X