Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson JJ1 Scott Ian sig. Series, Anyone Have Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson JJ1 Scott Ian sig. Series, Anyone Have Info?

Hi,
    I'm trying to find some information on a guitar I just bought used. I believe the guitar is a Jackson JJ1 Scott Ian Signature series model.

It's tobacco Sunburst, bolt on neck, with a Wilkinson Tremolo; dice inlays at the twelfth fret, has 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers (not Duncan Designed), one volume, one tone and a toggle switch. The serial number on this guitar's fret board (0398JJ) falls into the range (according to the chart on Jackson's web site) of JJs made in 1997 at Jackson's Ontario shop. However I called Fender to try to get some information about this guitar and they told me that it was a Japanese guitar with an original list price of $540 [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] , and that the JJ4 (which I thought was the Japanese model) was the more expensive USA made model.

I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone could pass on to me about this guitar (ie. approximate value, wood it was made out of, etc.).

Re: Jackson JJ1 Scott Ian sig. Series, Anyone Have Info?

Fender's wrong! The JJ1 is USA (discontinued), the JJ4 is Japanese. The JJ2 is the current USA model they offer.
    Does yours have an actual Wilkinson tremolo or does it have a wrap-around Wilkinson tailpiece? I've never seen then with an actual trem, but it's possible. And I believe they're made out of mahogany. I have to dig out my catalogs and check. Check Harmony Central for reviews and specs.
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Jackson/

[ April 23, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
      Fender's wrong! The JJ1 is USA (discontinued), the JJ4 is Japanese. The JJ2 is the current USA model they offer.
      Does yours have an actual Wilkinson tremolo or does it have a wrap-around Wilkinson tailpiece? I've never seen then with an actual trem, but it's possible. And I believe they're made out of mahogany. I have to dig out my catalogs and check. Check Harmony Central for reviews and specs.
      http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Jackson/
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The guitar I have has a Wilkinson Trem. Personally I would have rather got one with a wrap-around Wilkinson tailpiece (more wood, and I don't plan on using the tremolo much. I was actually looking for a hardtail and was almost set on getting an ESP EC-300, but found the JJ1 for pretty much the same price). I didn't think the guy from Fender had the right info, I was pretty sure that jackson wouldn't sell a guitar for $540 that had real Duncans in it. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Hmm, I've never heard of them with the trem.I just checked my 1999 catalog and the specs say some are alder and others are korina, bolt-on maple neck, Duncan SH-4 (JB) and SH-2 (Jazz)pickups. Wilkinson wrap-around tailpiece. I don't have a '98 catalog, so maybe they came out that year with trems?
        The 2000 catalog has the JJ1, the JJ2 (mahogany body/mahogany neck or alder body with maple neck) JT390 TOM bridge/string-thru body, which had the special Duncan Scott Ian signature pickups that looked like DiMarzio X2Ns with the two bar polepieces. The JJ4 and JJ5 (5-string, korina body/neck) were also featured.
        The JJ1 was discontinued and not in the 2001 catalog. The 2002 catalog only has the JJ2, which I believe is the only JJ model still available.

[ April 23, 2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

sorry if this is a supid question, but where do you guys get the jackson catalogs?

Comment

Gpops, the 2002 catalog I got free from Lloyd at GuitarXpress.com, the 2001 I got with a couple Ibanez and ESP catalogs off ebay, the 1999 and 2000 I got for free off some other guitar store websites (I can't remember who) for just inquiring about prices and info on a couple Jackson guitars.
            Just ask Matt @ Onlinestagegear.com or Lloyd @ Guitarxpress.com and I'm sure they'll send you one. Or search ebay, or maybe some board members here have extras. I believe the 2003 catalog is the same as 2002, as Fender didn't have time to put out a new one when they took over.

Comment

This guitar (from the Jackson custom shop archives) looks exactly like mine with the exception of the volume and tone control knobs (mine has silver knobs).

One of the reviews on harmony central stated that the JJ1 with a trem was a special order, I don't know if this is true or not. I guess that my guitar is likely made out of alder since it has a burst finish.

Comment

Wow, that's pretty cool! I haven't checked the archive pages in awhile. I must have missed that one.

Comment

IIRC, those were GC specials. I can't remember for certain.

Comment

It's called a JJ1W, "W" for Wilkinson. The specs were the same as the JJ1 except that the trem was added. Some had Armstrong pickups, not duncans. There were less than 35 made since they weren't big sellers. I have the spec sheet and pics of the gtrs here but they only made into the 97 catalog and were discontinued in 98.

There was another model called the JJ1GC for Guitar Center, it had one hum and was only available in hot rod flames with a GTB wraparound tailpiece, again, not a big seller. I do know where I can score a sweet Korina JJ1 in trans red if anyone is interested. It was in the 98 catalog. Nice gtr.

There were also Chinese versions made in 96-97. 2 hums, wilkinson trems or tunamatics, under the name JJ3.

Comment

That JJ1GC sounds cool. You wouldn't have any pics lying about would you, Kev? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                        That JJ1GC sounds cool. You wouldn't have any pics lying about would you, Kev? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My thoughts exactly... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for all of the info guys! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Damn - that is one SWEEEEET guitar.

I picked up a JJ4 recently and I'm really pleased with it. If I could get a JJ with a Wilkinson trem though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I probably do somewhere here. I'm still building the info pages so I know it's here somewhere. I think I may even have it on an old bumper sticker. remember the one that said You won't go blind playing with this!? Great tag line. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X