Jackson Luthiers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Luthiers?

I was just wondering how many "Master Luthiers" there are that work at the Jackson US facility, and is it possible to recognise a particular individuals' work?-"Oh yeah,this is one of Jerry's"-you get the idea.
    I know that much is made of Mike Shannon's guitars,but I guess all of these guys must be pretty special,so what are the "signature licks"?

Re: Jackson Luthiers?

I don't know, but I can tell you this: any neck that Mike Eldred crafted has been heaven to me. Newc sold me a snakeskin Fusion and the neck heel is stamped with Mike's name. It is by far the fastest, baddest, silkiest neck I've ever played on, except for that one night in Bangkok with Ms. Pearl, but that's another story altogether. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah that neck felt a lot more narrow than the two Fusions I have now.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Mike says he still has that stamp.

Recently Vince Cunetto took a stab at Mike's Charvel/Jackson past. For those of you who don't know, Cunetto was the guy who used to relic the Custom Shop guitars for Fender in the 90's when they started the relic line. Mike Eldred entered the Custom Shop around '98 and kicked off the "Time Machine" series of Relics which were more accurate to the original guitars (and the relicing was done done "in house" rather than away). Cunneto made a comment like "I spent 15 years studying vintage Fender's, not working for a company specializing in hair band guitars.". Mike has alot of pride in his work at Fender (just as he still is proud of his C/J days). Regardless of what market he was involved in he is obviously always the best at what he did.

[ April 23, 2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Snoogans, I think you have the entirely wrong vision of what Jackson does and how they are made.
          These guitars are made by skilled workers on assembly lines. Yes, Mike Shannon, Mike Eldred, Tim Wilson, et al, are very talented people but to picture each guitar being constructed on a bench by a skilled craftsman weilding various traditional woodworking tools is pretty far from the mark.

Comment

Yeah, If they were done like that it would be thousands more for each one.

Comment

Sully, you are very right. One was recently sold at auction as well. In the new Fender Frontline magazine he tells the story of how he visited the original Woodstock Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                Mike says he still has that stamp.

Recently Vince Cunetto took a stab at Mike's Charvel/Jackson past. For those of you who don't know, Cunetto was the guy who used to relic the Custom Shop guitars for Fender in the 90's when they started the relic line. Mike Eldred entered the Custom Shop around '98 and kicked off the "Time Machine" series of Relics which were more accurate to the original guitars (and the relicing was done done "in house" rather than away). Cunneto made a comment like "I spent 15 years studying vintage Fender's, not working for a company specializing in hair band guitars.". Mike has alot of pride in his work at Fender (just as he still is proud of his C/J days). Regardless of what market he was involved in he is obviously always the best at what he did.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hm...sour grapes, anyone?

mike eldred is mentioned in one of the new guitar mags; there's a thing in there about how fender made 4 exact (to the dings) replicas of jimi's woodstock guitar. mike is quoted in the article.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Snoogans, I think you have the entirely wrong vision of what Jackson does and how they are made.
                  These guitars are made by skilled workers on assembly lines.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I guess I worded the question wrongly.What I was trying to say was something along the lines of - How much "hand-building" is in evidence in Jackson USA production,and how much ,if any,of a particular individual's input would be apparent from this?

Comment

Working...
                  X