Whats your opinion on Stone finishes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your opinion on Stone finishes?

I was just wondering what everyone thought about Jacksons with the old Stone finish? I went to the Jackson site and don't see it as an option anymore. Does anyone know when it was discontinued or why?

The reason I ask is because I don't see them very often and was wondering if this is because they don't do very well? Do people just not like it?

My friends seem to be luke warm to it, but a couple really like it.

Just wondering what some seasoned Jackson Vets have to say about it? What are your favorite finishes?

Some might think this is a lame question, but I have always wondered this. Personally, I have a thing with marks left by fingerprints and prefer matte finishes. I do like the glossy finishes though, some are just killer!

Thanks for your input.

Zombie

Well I love the stone finish I've had 4 stone dinkys(DR5) 2 with the maple fingerboards and 2 with the rosewood.I think the fact that the finish is pretty thin and there is no primer underneath the paint is why they have such a great tone.
    I saw a stone RR in Las Vegas several years ago but the shop didn't ship guitars and the airlines wouldn't let me carry in on.
    I think the stone finish was not offered past 94.
    Last edited by straycat; 11-18-2007, 08:53 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

the usa ones were great but they hated having to router out the cracks in them...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I just found out about those stone finish dinkys.They are nice/different.I just picked up a dinky rev and its "Dark Metallic Violet". I like them better when used w/Maple FB.
        Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

I have a dark purple DR 5 with a maple fingerboard and it is the tits.Snagged it at a pawn shop for $212.00 WHSC.It was missing the trem arm and stud but I had one in my parts bin so I got him to drop the price $50.00.
          The all maple necks are thinner than the rosewood necks IMO
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
            the usa ones were great but they hated having to router out the cracks in them...d.m.
            There was one here at a local pawn shop. I remember it being kinda heavy. They wanted a lot of money for it. I went back and it was gone.
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

I have a Dinky Reverse Pro in stone w/maple board, excellent guitar.

Last shown in '94'95 catalog:
              http://audiozone.dk/cm/albums/jc-cat...4-95Page11.jpg

1993:
              http://audiozone.dk/cm/albums/jc-cat...1993Page25.jpg

1992:
              http://audiozone.dk/cm/albums/jc-cat...92-2Page12.jpg

Comment

Hi Zombie,
                Here are two Granite finished USA's I found in the gallery.

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/jac...t-quake-bk.jpg

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/jac...pics/j5229.jpg

These were finished with a diffrent look that the import models in the Catalog scans in MountainDog's post.
                I like the Granite more than the Stone but these are very rare just like all of the custom finishes.

Oh and welcome.

Comment

I like that Granite with the ebony fretboard, the stone would look better with a darker fretboard, maple is to light.

Comment

IMO Hamer did it better.. these Jacksons are too perfect, having the
                    stone with no variation in the pattern. Just like Corian counter tops..
                    looks fake to me. Hamer did a Marble finish with lots of vein, and
                    different shades of stone in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                      IMO Hamer did it better.. these Jacksons are too perfect, having the
                      stone with no variation in the pattern. Just like Corian counter tops..
                      looks fake to me. Hamer did a Marble finish with lots of vein, and
                      different shades of stone in it.
                      The Jacksons were textured paint. Hamer's marble/swirl finish were smooth, weren't they?
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I used to have a shitty stone-ish finished Ltd guitar which i bought of a south african guy who got it custom refinished in south africa.

Textured finish is uncomfy as it used to hurt my big belly when played it sitting down.

Looks cool tho

If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

I fell in love with a granite H/S Soloist in 1988. Could not afford it at the time and watched the price drop until someone snagged it. The neck on the guitar was perfect and it looked stunning - textured and facited with realistic "cracks". It was sold out of the Paramus NJ Sam Ash in 1989. I have been keeping an eye out for it ever since.
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                            I fell in love with a granite H/S Soloist in 1988. Could not afford it at the time and watched the price drop until someone snagged it. The neck on the guitar was perfect and it looked stunning - textured and facited with realistic "cracks". It was sold out of the Paramus NJ Sam Ash in 1989. I have been keeping an eye out for it ever since.
                            I believe the ones with the realistic cracks were actually called "quake" or something like that. They're a little different than the stone finish on the imports that don't have the cracks.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys!

I will post pix when mine comes in. I have never seen the granite finish before, thanks for posting the pictures of it.

I guess Textured/Stone finishes really need pictures because it appears there are so many different kinds of it out there.

Thanks,

Zombie

Comment

Working...
                              X