Brief Jackson History please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief Jackson History please!

I was just wondering who started Jackson guitars and when. Was there a Mr.Jackson and who was he? Also how did the Jackson guitar company end up so closely linked with the Charvel guitar company? And lastly who was "The King" behind the King V? Elvis? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Brief Jackson History please!

In the 70's, Wayne Charvel and Lynn Ellsworth started the Charvel Manufacturing Company. Later, Lynn Ellsworth left and Grover Jackson later on bought the Charvel Mfg Co. from Wayne, and then Wayne left. When Randy Rhoads approached Grover with his idea for his signature V, Grover was concerned that the radical design might be a flop, and thus would be bad for the Charvel name, so he put his own name on it, figuring if it DID flop, no one would associate it with Charvel and it would just be remembered as "That freaky Jackson one-off thing".
    As we all know now, that was a smart move by Grover [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Years later, Grover sold out to a partnership in Texas called IMC, which introduced the Japanese-made Charvel Model series. Jackson was still a Custom Shop, and Charels were production models.
    In 1989/90, Akai bought IMC and started making Jacksons as USA and Japanese production models and phased out the Charvel line.

The "King" was Robbin "King" Crosby (distant relative of Bing Crosby). He was nicknamed King because he was tall and big, but not fat. Since he was the most high-profile player to use that V (which was actually someone else's idea), it became known as the "King" V. It was larger than today's King V. Originally it was two Rhoads long wings back to back.

Newc

p.s. No, he's not the Grover behind Grover tuners.

[ April 20, 2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Cack, Newc is quite the man of knowledge for all things Jackson, especially the history. Nailed it in a nutshell! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah I finally got something right [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Cack, you been livin' in a cave somewhere?

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
            Cack, you been livin' in a cave somewhere?

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good Point [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] !
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Newc, you're right, but you forgot to mention some important details.

Originally, in the Wayne years, the company was a guitar parts store in Azusa, Ca., selling unbreakable jack plates and unbreakable tremolo arms. Later, Charvel mfg begun to sell Boogie Body kits. In the late 70s, Grover Jackson worked for Wayne Charvel, before Wayne sold the company and the name to Grover in 1978. Tim Wilson (the manager of the custom shop) estimates that Wayne assembled less than half a dozen Boogie Body kits. But Wayne never built Charvel guitars by himself. Grover moved the company to San Dimas (to be exact: the factory was in Glendora, at the border to San Dimas, but the P.O. box was in San Dimas). In San Dimas, Grover begun to build the first real Charvel guitars and presented them the first time at the summer NAMM 1979. Wayne Charvel was never involved with these guitars which he is copying today.

Afaik, in about 1986, Grover licensed the Charvel name to IMC for Japanese made Charvels, but the custom shop, which moved from San Dimas to Ontario in 1986, remained at Grover Jackson. In the late 80s Grover sold the whole company and left Jackson/Charvel.

Comment

He did ask for a brief history [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Oh, cack, you wanted a brief history? Well then, sometime around 8000 BC mankind realized all that running around and hunting was causing distress to the delicates. So, a cloth brief was developed to provide a protective covering for said delicates. Over time, the brief evolved into various forms including boxers, thongs, bikinis, and my personal favorite: BVD's. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Speedo [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

This has been done so many times here and on the old board.

It's a pity the admins don't have a section for good posts to be archived. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yup, they wrap my "jackson" in cotton comfort!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Wayne sold the company and name to Grover
                          to prevent the capital assets from being seized in his bankruptcy proceedings. I
                          don't think he actually left until later.
                          So to recap:

Wayne/parts
                          Wayne/Lynn
                          Wayne/Grover
                          Grover
                          IMC
                          AMIC
                          FMIC

I think that's about as brief as it gets!
                          [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                            The "King" was Robbin "King" Crosby (distant relative of Bing Crosby). He was nicknamed King because he was tall and big, but not fat. Since he was the most high-profile player to use that V (which was actually someone else's idea), it became known as the "King" V. It was larger than today's King V. Originally it was two Rhoads long wings back to back.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know the Double Rhoads idea came from Dave Linsk of Overkill.. his guitar was at the factory at the time being worked on and Robbin saw it and loved it. Anybody know what the hell band Dave was in back then? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I'd never heard of him until the past few years he's been in Overkill.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hmmm, I thought the King V was a derivative of the very first neckthru Charvel/Jackson guitar, the ever awesome Vergat V....... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Those didnt get any name on the headstock......

[ April 23, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Accept2 ]

Comment

Working...
                              X