Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No wonder why the production 7 strings didnt go over well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to bring this back up... I finally started refretting my RR7R last night. Once I pulled all the frets and checked their radius... sure enough, theyre wrong! The neck is 14-16 compound radius... most of the frets are from .5" to 1" under radiused. Hence them all pulling up at the ends, and unable to reseat them. No matter though, Ive got pretty much everything I need to do this job right, even though this is my first fret job, Ive been practicing and am confident this is gonna come out great!

Oh and I did try to repress the frets in the with arbor press, but they wouldnt stay.
    Last edited by RobRR; 01-26-2008, 02:22 PM.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The only two guitars I ever had with lifting frets were both USA Jacksons — A KE1 and a Phil Collen Archtop. This fixed 'em both:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...et_Setter.html
      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Good luck in doing it. I have never run into this on a factory job, thus my earlier skepticism. I think we both can learn a bit of something out of this.

Comment

I can't image why anyone would buy a Jackson 7-string when Ibanez makes such good ones with necks and fretwork Jackson can only dream of matching. My Ibanez 7-strings have fretwork Jacksons USA shop can't even match today.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post
            I can't image why anyone would buy a Jackson 7-string when Ibanez makes such good ones with necks and fretwork Jackson can only dream of matching. My Ibanez 7-strings have fretwork Jacksons USA shop can't even match today.
            Meh. Don't go there.
            Read the rest of the thread first.

Comment

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

Oh man, that was a good one...

Oh...

Oh no...

Not again!!! Ahhhhhahahahaha!!!!!!!!11 :ROTF:
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I have had a Schecter 7 string guitar, it played well and never gave me any issues, but I just couldn't get used to 7 strings so I traded it. I hear that ESP now has an 8 string!
                Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

are you fucking kidding me?
                  I played 7s exclusively for awhile and went through a shitload of them trying to find a production one that met all my needs... the closest one was the third Jackson COW7 I got, the Silverburst model. The fretwork was pretty close to the Musicman JP7 I had, and the JP7 cost $1,600 more. The S7320 I owned at the same time was a fucking junker, I played it for maybe five hours total because between the horrible neck profile and bumpy uneven frets, it sucked balls to play.

Comment

I decided to get into 7 strings recently and got a Schecter C7 Blackjack which is very nice. If Jackson made a set neck 7 with 2 humbuckers I would probably have bought that but they don't and I need more than the COW has got.

Everything I have read about the COW has been positive (the guitar that is, the man seems to be a bit of a fruit cake) and if I was in the market for a new guitar as backup I'd look into WELL before I took to an Ibanez because 2 of the 3 import Ibanez guitars I have bought have been utter junk and came nowhere near the quality of the half dozen import Jacksons I have been through.

This news about the older import 7s is rather disturbing as I have been on the lookout for a Rhoads 7 ...

Comment

I had a jackson 7 string with EMG 707s and I definetly regret selling it.

Comment

I disagree. I just bought an ibanez rg1527 and the fretwork is not even close to my jackson's. It have been adjusted proberly but there are some buzz's over the 15-19 frets. If you are talking about the universe models they are much more expensive then cow's. I don't think jackson makes any other 7 string guitar anymore so i dont think it is right to compare a 2k bucks guitar with a 1k bucks guitar.

Comment

Oh, Ibanez makes nice 7-strings. Those J-Customs, that is, that cost a zillion dollars and have to be imported from a Japanese dealer. And after all that, you still have a production guitar that is really nothing more than a properly made Ibanez RG. There are much better options out there if you can't afford $5,000 for a CS Jackson... http://www.kxkguitars.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X