Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro

Hi all,

I had hoped to post pictures of my new (first) Jackson in my intro. I couldn't find what I wanted in stock so the pics will have to wait.

I'm Brian from Los Angeles by way of Minnesota. I played six or more hours a day in the '80's. The early '90's was spent in art school and left little time to play. After concentrating on my visual arts all these years and recovering from a broken left thumb I feel the need to start playing again. What better way to get back into guitar than getting the guitar I've wanted since 1985?

I just placed an order with Matt's for an Acapulco Gold KE2 Kelly. O.K. I wanted a custom Kelly with a graphic of my design, but I haven't played in years. It took a week or two to get my lovely wife to agree to the USA Select I'm a fan of Marty's work in Megadeth (saw his last show with them), but it was Chris Hager of Rough Cutt that I first saw a Kelly on.

So the wait is on. Hopefully no longer than 6 months from now I'll have a bunch of photos for you all. For now I'll learn from all of you fine folks. I will probably not play too much until the Kelly arrives since I've always had trouble getting used to one neck then switching to another. I have an 80's NJ neck through Bich with pre-amp, varitone, coil taps, and phase reverse. I replaced the Kahler flyer with a Kahler pro. It needs to be re-wired, but plays nice. I have a Carvin X60 combo that I use as a head only for a Carvin cab loaded with Carvin High Energy speakers.

Welcome!! Can't wait to see the new guitar!!

Comment

Hi Bri
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks! I've stayed out of guitar stores all these years to avoid GAS. I thought I'd just walk in to the Hollywood GC and walk out with the Kelly I liked the best. It was a rude awakening to see only one and it was in plain white. I can't own a white guitar. It reminds me of the plastic explorers and V's from back in the day.

Comment

I've found that Sam Ash across the street has a better selection, but for better prices, click on the Dealers link at the top of this page.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey, welcome to the family! Sounds like a nice Kelly you have coming. Staying on this forum will not help your GAS any. It just adds fuel to the fire!
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

hey man !
              Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
              Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Intro

Thanks for the kind welcome!

I did check out Sam Ash in the South Bay and Hollywood. I couldn't say if their selection was any better or worse due to my KE2 tunnel vision. SA Hollywood only had one KE3. I did notice a flames Razorback in there as well. I wasn't as impressed in person.

I wanted to give GC Hollywood first crack since they did have a KE2 in stock. They let me play for a while back in '85 when I came out here with my folks. I walked in by myself, told them I was on vacation from Minnesota and just needed to feel some strings under my fingers. I said I'd love to try a Kelly. I couldn't swear now if they had one. I either played a Kelly or a very nice Explorer. Anyway, I asked them to meet MAP price. They asked for quotes from others. I explained the place with the best quote AND service gets the sale. They left a message a week later, but I was already talking to Matt.

I also gave West LA Music a shot. The narrowest they got the quote to was better than GC. I don't have to tell you guys that isn't good enough. They were prompt and friendly until they forgot about me. I didn't want to add to my wait time or have the guitar shipped across climates in the winter time. In the end I did go with Matt's Music. The price was just one reason.

As far as GAS, I have to keep it under control now. CGI gear is a need, guitars are a want. Maturity can really suck.

Comment

Welcome from one newbie to another . Cool background info too!

Comment

Working...
                  X