No announcement yet.

Help! Need shipping advice for SLATQH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Need shipping advice for SLATQH!

Guys,

I *just* one this guitar this evening:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1674&rd=1&rd=1

I've seen pics of SO many SLATQH's with a crack in the finish around the nut, due to the way the guitar was packed AND handled during shipping.

Does anyone have any advice I can give the seller regarding packing it so I don't receive it with this all-too-common crack?

P.S. Please - don't make me feel bad about what I (over)-paid I've wanted one just like this forever, and it looks like the only way to get a new one today is thru the Custom Shop, which would have cost even more.
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Oops,

I meant I "won" it, not "one" it.
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Tell him to put sound proofing foam around the headstock in the case so it doesn't bump around/move during shipping. That's if he's got any laying around I guess. I'm talking about this stuff:

Gear:
      none

Comment

Originally posted by vultures View Post
        Tell him to put sound proofing foam around the headstock in the case so it doesn't bump around/move during shipping. That's if he's got any laying around I guess. I'm talking about this stuff:

That's great advice. I also tape those flimsy latches on guitar cases closed before shipping.

Comment

Do not have it shipped in the G&G case that Jackson put these guitars in. I feel lucky that my Trans Black SLATQH arrived intact in it. By the way congrats on your beautiful SLATQ. That is an awesome one!
          RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
          CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
          Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
          Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

I've had bubble wrap wrapped around necks I've won and sold...no issues in delivery.
            "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete View Post
              Guys,

I *just* one this guitar this evening:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1674&rd=1&rd=1

I've seen pics of SO many SLATQH's with a crack in the finish around the nut, due to the way the guitar was packed AND handled during shipping.

Does anyone have any advice I can give the seller regarding packing it so I don't receive it with this all-too-common crack?

P.S. Please - don't make me feel bad about what I (over)-paid I've wanted one just like this forever, and it looks like the only way to get a new one today is thru the Custom Shop, which would have cost even more.
              When shipping a guitar in general, here are some tips I do:

1. Loosen the strings
              2. wrap the guitar in foam, and tape the case shut as well as latch it shut
              3. HANDWRITE on the box: Do NOT STACK, DO NOT DROP

But if you're getting it in a hardshell case nothing will happen to it. I don't buy into shipping BS, I've shipped over 20 guitars this year, never a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kudogg View Post
                When shipping a guitar in general, here are some tips I do:

1. Loosen the strings
                2. wrap the guitar in foam, and tape the case shut as well as latch it shut
                3. HANDWRITE on the box: Do NOT STACK, DO NOT DROP

But if you're getting it in a hardshell case nothing will happen to it. I don't buy into shipping BS, I've shipped over 20 guitars this year, never a problem.

FYI: That Handwriting thing... I've seen inside a shipping terminal... any flat surface they have, they stack stuff on... (even if it says 'do not stack'...) The more they fit in a trailer the more $$$ they make... Still a good idea, just a warning...
                Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys!

Comment

First off congratulations on winning that SLATQ! I was watching that one to see how high it would go...what a beauty!
                    The guitar most likely will come in an SKB molded case which is a good thing. I'd ask them to detune the guitar a little, then place some foam or bubble wrap around the body to make the guitar extremely snug in the case. I usually will shake the guitar/case when I pack one to see if the guitar moves at all. Then I tape bubble wrap around the entire case (which also makes sure the latches never come undone). Then pack that into a box filled with peanuts also very snug so the case doesn't move in the box.
                    I personally do not like to wrap the headstocks or place anything around them....it can add tension to the joint and cause cracking...there are a few threads on here about that with some bad experiences.

- Joel
                    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                    RIP Dime

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz666 View Post
                      First off congratulations on winning that SLATQ! I was watching that one to see how high it would go...what a beauty!
                      The guitar most likely will come in an SKB molded case which is a good thing.

- Joel
                      The stock case for SLATQ is a G&G case like a typical Strat case which does not fit the SLATQ. It allows the headstock to bang into the end of the case because the guitar can move around a whole lot in the case.
                      Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55

Comment

The case pictured in the auction is the molded SKB Jackson case. If the fit is anything like the two PC1's I've owned I would have them chuck the case. IMO it would be safer to have the guitar shipped double boxed in two cardboard containers. Joel gave some great pointers on shipping guitars but the Jackson headstocks are subject to damage in those SKB cases which do not fit properly.

Comment

I guess I did not pay attention to the case in the auction pictures. That Jackson case looks like the one my SLATQ now resides in and it fits rather nicely with no movement.
                          Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55

Comment

Hey SweetPete,

Beautiful guitar. Well worth what you paid, IMO.

That case looks just like the one that my SLATQH came in. Mine fits snuggly. with no movement. It protected it well enough that it survived a long trip from NY to Ireland without a scratch. Try not to fret too much. It'll arrive okay... and in case it doesn't, have it insured.

Hey spencer4hire, your guitar is a beaut too. I was wondering, is the body binding "natural" on it. If I recall right, it didn't seem to be in the pics you posted. It's natural on most SLATQHs that I've seen, including SweetPete's.

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

Here's a link of an article in musicians hotline on guitar packing, mentions similar things Joel does above. I like to leave the headstock free of wrapping as Joel mentions too.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/Shipping.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X