Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the FMT's match either side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
    It may not be a book match, but it is two pieces.
    Nice seem in the middle there.
    Actually that is bookmatched... And a very sweet bass!
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Interesting thread... great descriptions of bookmatched tops!
      Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
        That's not exactly true. Think of the grain as the refracting portion of a bike reflector and the stain and finish like the coloring of the clear plastic over it. Sure you can change the color but the variance in wood density and reflectivity are pretty much pre-determined before the wood receives it's first coat of color.

The coatings only enhance what the wood is already doing.

If you take any figured wood, apply a coat of water or oil to it, you will see this come out temporarily.

Depends on a lot of things, but how it is finished can make it's appearence more or less significant. Although the grain orientation between the 2 halves is the common culprit of the light and dark mirrored sides, it's appearance can be changed simply by the angle of light when viewed as well.

Not arguing with ya at all about that stuff!

However, Naptha or mineral spirits are far safer to wipe on a wood to view the figure, as it will not raise the grain in the process. It shows for a much smaller amount of time though because they evaporate so quickly.

Comment

It is highly unlikey that you can cut and thickness sand a top like that and have the rays match because of this. The only time you see a "perfect" match normally, is when the manufacturer cheats and uses a thin bookmatched veneer top. Modern "true" veneers are not cut on a saw at all. There is no wood wasted in the cutting process. They use a specialized machine that swings the log over a large "razor blade" that has no kerf.
          The bookmatch on my custom is about as near perfect as I ever saw and not only is it a 3/4" slab top. Its a carved top to boot. You can clearly see a seam but its lined up to perfection.

What you said about color stains is so true. Every other guitar I've had a carved top has been with a painted burst top. This guitar was stained (the hang tag says TGS) and it doesn't "move" at all. Its sorta disappointing because my other quilt top guitars really move like crazy in direct light. However the depth of the figure on my custom is so much more visible because of the staining process.

The other unique thing about my custom is that most figured headstocks that match the body are thin veneers. My custom the headcap is at least 1/8". I know because it has the natural binding effect that the body does (as I requested).
          Last edited by Chrisb; 07-17-2007, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
            Mainly because it's too frikkin expensive top have a single piece of flamed wood as the complete carved top. In the case of a "seemless" flamed top its usualy the case of a veneer overlay on top of a maple cap. Altho the whole top will be maple only the top 1/8in or so will be flamed. If ya pull the pups out and look at the cavity edge you can see the differance in the grain or even the edge of the flamed veneer. ( if its not painted over that is) Sometimes you still can. I've never seen a single piece flamed maple cap on a PRS. Im not saying they dont exsist. Just i've never seen one and i work at a dealer for over 6 years. If there is such a beast its probably a Private Stock and those are upwards of 10-20k and higher.
            Gil
            One at Bizarre Guitar in Phx, AZ $3200 natural blond with birds
            and 10 top, artist electronics. One complete piece, no "line'!
            Quilt And so my Brother in Laws Private Stock Tigers eye for
            $6300.00 was a deal ? Booya!

Comment

Working...
            X