Serial number question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial number question..

Hmm i was wondering .. what exact year my Jackson DR7 was made ?
    I know its from Japan...

Heres the number

What else can u read from the number ?

Thank You

It's pretty much impossible to read anything out of that serial, except that it's a bolt-on guitar that was built in Japan. The import serials were/are purely sequential after 1995. To our knowledge there are no dates hidden in there, and no distinction between different models or such.

If Ron pops by, he could compare it to his list and give you a guesstimate of when it was made. I have also compiled a list, but I'm not home this weekend, so I don't have access to it.

The only sure-fire way of finding out exactly when the body and neck were made, is to take the neck off and check the neck pocket and neck heel for date stamps.

Comment

Oh... ok...
      probably at the next string change , fingerboard cleaning Ill check it....

Comment

From what I've seen, Jackson stuck with the 6-digit serials throughout 1996 after changing to the "96" serialization, but added a 7th number in 1997 before going to the "97" serials. Then in '97 or '98 they made it 8 digits, then phased out a bunch of models, then I think that's when they started the "7 and 8 numbers = Japan, 9 and 10 numbers = India" format.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I thought all "9"s were made in Japan
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            From what I've seen, Jackson stuck with the 6-digit serials throughout 1996 after changing to the "96" serialization, but added a 7th number in 1997 before going to the "97" serials.

So far, so good...

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Then in '97 or '98 they made it 8 digits, then phased out a bunch of models, then I think that's when they started the "7 and 8 numbers = Japan, 9 and 10 numbers = India" format.

WHOA WHOA WHOA! What, did the drugs kick in right then?

WTH are ya talkin' about there, Newc? Jap bolt-ons continue with 7 digit serials to this day, ie 969xxxx

Currently they are at about 986xxxx or so.

7 & 8 numbers? You mean digits? 8 digits usually indicates India, as in
            00107xxx or 1020xxxx

Serials that start with 9 almost always indicate Japan, especially if it's 7 digits long. I have heard of 8 digit serials that start with 99, though (can't remember what's up with them).

Also, starting in 2005, some India guitars went to a year format followed by 4 digits, as in 2005xxxx
            Last edited by RacerX; 07-05-2007, 11:54 PM. Reason: added smilie
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Serials that start with 9 almost always indicate Japan, especially if it's 7 digits long. I have heard of 8 digit serials that start with 99, though (can't remember what's up with them).

Also, starting in 2005, some India guitars went to a year format followed by 4 digits, as in 2005xxxx
              When looking through my serial list, I'm starting to think that the indian serials always had a year code. E.g:

98xxxxxx
              99xxxxxx
              00xxxxxx
              01xxxxxx

Etc.

However, I can't be sure without a lot more data.

Comment

Working...
              X