Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Kelly 7

Hello, first a bit of an introduction

I am new to the forum, and I am glad I discovered it! I am an avid player of 7 string guitars, and recently had the good fortune to pick up a Jackson KE-7 from the dreaded eBay. Luckly for me the seller seemed to have kept it in fairly good condition, and it plays pretty well, but I am guessing could use a proper setup to get the most of it.

It has a dark blue body, satin (nickel?) hardware, rosewood fretboard with reverse headstock. Oh yeah, it has a fixed (hardtail) bridge. Addionally the owner swapped out the stock bridge pickup with a Duncan Invader. The Invader has a very heavy sound, but the output difference between that and the stock neck pickup pretty much means the neck position is pretty much useless in most situations.

(yeah, I know I need to add some pictures, working on that!)

Do any of you sages of Jackson know more about this critter, such as what year they were produced? I had always wanted a Kelly, so I feel very lucky to have one.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for letting me join the board!

Black Watch

Ah yes, pictures! So here is what it looks like -

The yellow walls, my wife's favorite color

Comment

nice m8 very nice,welcome
      my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Black Watch View Post
        The yellow walls, my wife's favorite color

Yellow walls??? I like the blue guitar stand!!!!!!! (or is that purple???)

Guitars:
        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
        1988 Model 2,
        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
        RR3
        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

Ach! Yeah, its a purple guitar stand. I somehow married a lady that is part artist part geologist, hence the decor.

The GREAT news is that she loves my playing - a real keeper.

Comment

powdercoated or what, nice guitar................to bad about the mini shark inlays.................
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Nice 7 string !

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                powdercoated or what, nice guitar................to bad about the mini shark inlays.................
                They're normal size inlays. The neck is wider because it's a 7-string.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Watch View Post
                  The Invader has a very heavy sound, but the output difference between that and the stock neck pickup pretty much means the neck position is pretty much useless in most situations.
                  Lower the bridge pickup and raise the neck pickup, that should help you balance them a little better.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

great guitar, congratz on the score! these should go back into production... I want a second one!

Comment

Nice! A black one! Did you replace the bridge pickup with the EMG or did it come that way? I was concerned about doing the same as the screw holes that hold the pickup ring would probably not be removed when the cavity was re-routed to fit the larger EMG pickup body. How did it work on yours?

Thanks a ton for any information.

Comment

I had it installed about a month after I bought it. was lucky, mine's a nos bought in august 2005 the pickup cavity was routed out some more to fit the oversized EMG housing. always have been a 81 only on my 6'es but since I've put in the 707...

haven't done anything myself on it though, or I would be telling 'I once had a sevenstring kelly...'

Comment

Working...
                        X