Can't decide which Jackson to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide which Jackson to get

I can't make up my mind between these two Jacksons to start off with as a really nice beginning guitar.

Either this
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...0126&rd=1&rd=1

Or a Jackson JJ1 with a really cool flame graphic.

The JJ1 would be around 700 bucks, counting shipping. I'm estimating the Rhoads at around 600 if I use Buy It Now.

What do you think?

Welcome to the forum. The JJ1 is USA made, the Rhoads is an import with modifications. JJ1 all the way.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks.

I was just wondering if the Rhoads was comparable to the USA models, since it seems like Japan quality was pretty good at that time and it's a neck-thru - and the JJ1's a bolt-on. And it's kind of hard to find info on the JJ1 online - I tried reading through the old forum posts, but I couldn't find that much on the 1.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Welcome to the forum. The JJ1 is USA made, the Rhoads is an import with modifications. JJ1 all the way.

Not to mention a rare guitar IMO and a rare graphic too

Comment

+1 on the JJ1.... Sweet looking guitar.

Comment

Go for whichever one you'd prefer. The neckthrough vs bolt-on argument has never been scientifically proven, so it boils down to features and preference (trem, board, style, etc).
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Go for whichever one you'd prefer. The neckthrough vs bolt-on argument has never been scientifically proven, so it boils down to features and preference (trem, board, style, etc).
              But Matt, the neck-thrus have so much more sustain right? :ROTF:
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I wouldn't get either of those. A blundered Rhoads or a JJ1 - nope. I had a JJ1 - it was OK but there are much better guitars out there for the $500 or so it'll cost you.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  I wouldn't get either of those. A blundered Rhoads or a JJ1 - nope. I had a JJ1 - it was OK but there are much better guitars out there for the $500 or so it'll cost you.

I agree Even a good deal on a DK2M would be better.
                  The most important thing is the question; do you like a guitar that sounds and plays great, plays comfortably and looks good at the same time?

Welcome to the forum!
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I dunno. I'm just not a fan at all of strat-style guitars. And I've always loved the Rhoads look - the only thing that really makes me want the JJ1 is the paintjob.

How much is that JJ1 probably worth, then?

PS: I've heard that Jackson RRs made in Japan from that era were pretty comparable to the USA ones, over on the imports forum and online. Is that true?
                    Last edited by Extant; 01-21-2007, 05:03 AM.

Comment

If you dont snag that JJ please PM me as I would like to

Comment

Yes the imports from that time period where comparable to the USA stuff of the time.
                        Even though the RR was modded professionally. I would still be hesitant to get it, especially @ that price. Me personally, I like Floyd bridges, so I immediately would be looking to have it modded back to the way it was (- the old finish).
                        KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                        I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

I got the Rhoads, since I kind of had to pick one and it was cheaper (and I'm a huge fan of the body style). Got it for 550, shipping included, so I saved a bit.

I'm still not that great with the guitar yet, so I'll stick with the fixed bridge and change it to a Floyd or Kahler once I get more proficient with it.

Comment

Now you just have to have someone paint flames on it.
                            |My CSG gallery|
                            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

neither. get a dk2m.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X