Kelly K-10 Pro? (pic inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly K-10 Pro? (pic inside)

I bought a "Kelly K-10 Pro" off of a friend a few years back and I haven't been able to find much about it on the net. I can't find much on the serial number, but the serial is 98110298, and I don't know where it was manufactured either. I believe that a "K-10 Pro" may just be another name that was used for this model, an "aka" name or something because there's nothing to be found about it on the net. Here's a pic:

I took the volume knob off since it got in the way when picking, it has a 3-way pickup selector switch, and as for the pickups there's a Seymour Duncan at the bridge and some kind of other bucker at the neck, and I'm not quite sure but I think the bridge had something else in it and the Duncan was put in (you can see a slight color difference where the Duncan is darker compared to the neck bucker.)

I'm also wondering about the tremolo since it says just "licensed under Floyd Rose patents" and nothing else, so I don't know if it's a copy of an Original Floyd Rose or what. It needs a new bushing, or something kind of like that since the trem bar is loose, squeaky and won't stay in place.

Here's a pic of the end of my trem bar:

And here is a pic of the little piece that I need:

I'm not sure if they sell these things separately or not, but I couldn't find anything for the life of me about it. I guess I'll have to buy a new trem bar all together, but that's why I was checking here so I'll know exactly what kind to get.

Anyone know anything about the guitar itself and the tremolo/bar I should get?

first off, welcome!

that looks like a KX10D. "K-10 Pro" sounds like something that someone made up. This guitar isn't part of the Pro line of imports, but sellers will often add "pro" to the model name to make it seem like it might be.

The bridge is a licensed Floyd Rose copy, the JT500.

The piece that you think you are missing of the bar isn't actually. The part that you have pointed to is actually the part of the bar assembly that sits beneath the plate of the trem. Plus you've shown a different bar to the one on your guitar. You could buy the other bar and replace the entire assembly on your guitar (there's a link in the Tech section that will help you), and that wouldn't be a bad little upgrade for your guitar.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      first off, welcome!

that looks like a KX10D. "K-10 Pro" sounds like something that someone made up. This guitar isn't part of the Pro line of imports, but sellers will often add "pro" to the model name to make it seem like it might be.

The bridge is a licensed Floyd Rose copy, the JT500.

The piece that you think you are missing of the bar isn't actually. The part that you have pointed to is actually the part of the bar assembly that sits beneath the plate of the trem. Plus you've shown a different bar to the one on your guitar. You could buy the other bar and replace the entire assembly on your guitar (there's a link in the Tech section that will help you), and that wouldn't be a bad little upgrade for your guitar.
      Thanks!

Yeah, this guitar was bought from a retail store and not online back in 99 or something I think and my friend said it's a K-10 Pro, so I have no idea what it is.

The reason I brought up the trem thing is because the bar is jiggly and flies around, unless I lock it. If I don't screw in/lock it, it flies right down to 6 o'clock and it's hard to pull up quickly, but even if it's locked, it flies right down to the locked position. I need it to be really smooth with its movement and kind of stay up when I'm using it and I'm not sure what kind of bushing I need or where to get it.

Oh yeah, I got that picture with the arrow I made from a website and it said that the bar will fit OFRs and most FR-licensed trems, so I thought that this would be exactly what I need. The only thing different that I noticed between my bar and the one pictured is the little piece that sits under the trem I think, as you mentioned.

*needs bushing....*

EDIT: This is a wild guess, but maybe the little piece that I thought I needed that's under the trem plate is the actual bushing? I thought bushings were these plastic/rubber pieces that go onto/near the threaded part of the bar itself for most trems. I'm not sure sure how this fits onto the bottom of the trem plate because my trem has threading where you screw in the bar, so I'm not sure if I need the plastic/rubbr bushings or what.
      Last edited by The Magic Hoof; 01-07-2007, 08:54 PM.

Comment

no, that cylinder is the housing. The slightly smaller cylinder below it is where you can adjust the tension of the arm with an allen key.

Pop the spring cavity cover off the back of your guitar and see if you can see where the allen key would insert. You maybe able to adjust the arm on your guitar without spending any more money. And if all else fails, take the guitar to a shop - they may have the part you need lying about in a parts bin there. Might even give it to you for free! Buy some strings to say thanks if they do
        Hail yesterday

Comment

no, that cylinder is the housing. The slightly smaller cylinder below it is where you can adjust the tension of the arm with an allen key.

Pop the spring cavity cover off the back of your guitar and see if you can see where the allen key would insert. You maybe able to adjust the arm on your guitar without spending any more money. And if all else fails, take the guitar to a shop - they may have the part you need lying about in a parts bin there. Might even give it to you for free! Buy some strings to say thanks if they do
          Hey sorry, I'm a retard and mistook the little cylinder piece for the thing you mentioned that was actually part of my trem arm

I edited my post though.

Comment

KX10 or KX10D

The JT500 (BTW they're pretty crappy) indicates the guitar was made in India.

Welcome BTW!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

This is a full shot of my bar:

It looks just about exactly the same as the one pictured above, sans the little piece we're referring to.

I took a picture of the back of the trem with the backplate off:

So apparently there isn't the little piece on there that we're talking about since it's just threading hole. If I knew where to get one I would, but I'm thinking I'd have to just buy a new arm all together. I hope this isn't going to be a pain to install.

Now I'm wondering if this trem/bar came with one of the little pieces or if it had some kind of rubber/plastic part to put on the threading on the end of the bar. If buying a new arm isn't necessary and I can get the proper bushings for it, I'd go for that, but I can't find anything on it and don't know what to get or where to.
              Last edited by The Magic Hoof; 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM.

Comment

hmmm. interesting. I've never seen the back of a JT500 before.

your whammy bar is different to the other pic you posted. You don't have a collar on yours, since the arm screws directly into a thread hole in the trem. I don't believe there will be a bushing for your type of bar.

I still think you might be able to fix your problem easily & cheaply though. You could try placing a nylon washer above the threaded section before you screw the bar in.

Alternatively, get some plumbers tape and wrap some around the thread. This will close up the seal between the threads and stop unwanted movement. The bar should stay just where you want it then.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

hmmm. interesting. I've never seen the back of a JT500 before.

your whammy bar is different to the other pic you posted. You don't have a collar on yours, since the arm screws directly into a thread hole in the trem. I don't think there will be a bushing for your type of bar.

I still think you might be able to fix your problem easily & cheaply though. You could try placing a nylon washer above the threaded section before you screw the bar in.

Alternatively, get some plumbers tape and wrap some around the thread. This will close up the seal between the threads and stop unwanted movement. The bar should stay just where you want it then.

I really, really wanted to try and get this thing fixed up so I can do the little "flutter" trick with it. I have a question though: how exactly do you know that it's a JT500? I was thinking maybe it isn't, but on a JT500, what kind of bushing is there supposed to be if it has one at all?

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/arch...p?t-39336.html

Comment

that's the piece you've indicated on the other pic with the collar removed. That piece sits in the hole from the top of the baseplate and the collar screws up to it from beneath. The allen head screw is what holds it all together.

Not what you need for your bar. Try my other suggestions though. The plumbers tape should definitely work.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

that's the piece you've indicated on the other pic with the collar removed. That piece sits in the hole from the top of the baseplate and the collar screws up to it from beneath. The allen head screw is what holds it all together.

Not what you need for your bar. Try my other suggestions though. The plumbers tape should definitely work.
                        You'd think that any decent guitar would come with a trem that has a bushing. I'll try your tips though and see if it helps, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Magic Hoof View Post
                          I have a question though: how exactly do you know that it's a JT500?
                          Well, that line only had 2 trems, 500 (MII models) & 580 (MIJ models).
                          Plus, check JCFer Henrik's cool trem info page:
                          http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

Originally posted by The Magic Hoof View Post
                          I really, really wanted to try and get this thing fixed up so I can do the little "flutter" trick with it. You'd think that any decent guitar would come with a trem that has a bushing. I'll try your tips though and see if it helps, thanks.
                          Did I mention your trem isn't that decent? It really is the lower line trem and is not known for its build quality. IMO if you want to do trem work of any sort, get rid of that trem and/or the guitar.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

No no, you DO need that bushing - the bar does not screw directly into the baseplate.

The collar on the bar screws onto the top of the bushing. All collared bars require the bushing. Jackson did have one model trem that the bar screwed directly into the baseplate, but the hole it screwed into was an actual part of the sustain block (the JT580 non-LP, I believe).
                            Last edited by Newc; 01-08-2007, 01:27 AM.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nice pic!! Glad I could help. I think if you go to stew-mac and buy the whole assembly for like $14, it will work on your guitar even though its not designed exactly the same as yours. I think the picture of your bar shows your bar already screwed into the bushing. The bushing on that trem seems like the one on my old ps4 where the bushing threads into the trem plate and the bar either threads into the bushing or pops in like a JT-6 bar. Are there threads in the trem top plate? I think your trem bar works like this one.

If I recall there should be a nylon washer that sort of acts like locknut for the bushing. Your bar is all the way in the bushing and has gotten stuck, and caused the whole bushing to unscrew from the tremplate. If you hold the bushing with a pliers or wrench you should be able to unscrew the bar from it. Or I may be totally wrong and you just might be missing a bushing. Its hard to tell from the pics but that doesnt look like the same bushing as in the other pic (the rusty part).
                              Last edited by Carbuff; 01-08-2007, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X