No announcement yet.

Suggestions for EMG 81/85 replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i was talking about the coil tapping a super 2 not an emg i've actually had the 89 i wasn't impressed with the coil tap sounded the sharp i wanted a fat ,warm, dull sound like a usa strat, think zz top but i didn't get it
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
      I don't think you can coil tap a EMG. If you want to use your neck pickup try a 89.. it has a single coil and a dual coil in the same pickup! Sounds cool, but I can't really personally vouch for one.

If you are bent on coil taps you need to get four conductor passives which I think seymour duncan offers for all of their pickups.
      Try an 89. they are the EMGs for coil tapping.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
        well lets say i do have a clean channel, which i do, are we talking like 60 in the neck good or 81 in the bridge good, i want creamy, actually milky would be even better
        I'd say the X2N/Super 2 combo would be the passive equivalent to the 81/60, possibly even better than the EMGs, and I'm a huge EMG fan.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Who makes the X2N? Dimarzio?

Comment

Yes. The X2N and the Super 2 are made by Dimarzio.
            My gear
            87 Charvel Model 6
            86 Charvel Model 4
            93 Jackson RR EX
            93 Jackson Kelly STD
            88 Ibanez RG560
            99 Schecter Diamond C-7
            Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I'd say the X2N/Super 2 combo would be the passive equivalent to the 81/60, possibly even better than the EMGs, and I'm a huge EMG fan.
              the master has spoken (next to ron of course) thanks joe thats exactlly what i wanted to hear
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by AfterForever View Post
                I don't like Duncans.. I'm a dual EMG 81 guy.. or! try dual Dimarzio Evolutions.. can't go wrong with that.
                +1,dual 81s in my esp,evolutions in my jem,both have unique tones with the same gear.
                my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                  Try an 89. they are the EMGs for coil tapping.
                  89 is based on the 85 with the coil tap.i have one in my dinky,sound is thick and warm and the tap/sc is very hot and spicey,well for me anyway

Comment

dimarzio fred is another good choice along with a paf pro

Comment

Working...
                    X