guitar refinishing stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar refinishing stories?

Starting my first project...any succesful stories or horror..I would love to hear about the materials and method used..thanks [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[ March 19, 2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: lafours ]

Re: guitar refinishing stories?

ummm...used krylon to refinish a kramer baretta once...came out a really cool textured purple...the moral?...thin coats...lotsa thin coats...lol...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Check out this site done by a friend of mine. He's not a pro, but he does damn good work and he's funny as hell!
      web page

Comment

That picture of the guy in the Superman outfit is funny as hell. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I refinish guitars almost daily. Its a big part of my income. I have lots of stories, I don't even know where to begin.

Here are some things I have learned in the 10 short years I have been refinishing on my own (out of luthiery school). First off, you can do a professional grade refinish with spray bombs (cans). After years of doing the "right" way, I now use spray bombs for almost all of my color coats. Buying a pint of color and mixing it up is overkill for one guitar. Two spray bombs do the job with no clean up.

If you use spray bombs, never use lacquer's and enamel's on the same guitar. They are not compatible.

I prefer using nitrocellulose lacquer, however that stuff is too fragile for the typical rocker. Polyurethane is what to use for durability.

If you use spraybombs, before using them drop them in a sink full of hot tap water. If you are using a gun use a bottle warmer. This helps the paint mix better, it will go on and dry smoother, also the heated finish "flashes" (that moment it goes from very wet to sticky) faster and cures a little faster than cold paint.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

that guy kicks ass!!! this is an EXCELLENT site...

my personal favorite part (so far) is:

You can see the Titebond II, and off to the far far left is a bag of Cheetos that I also stole from Bashas. I am listening to Jason Beckers Perpetual Burn as I do this phase of the project, and you should too.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hey man! I ditched your emails when I had to clean out my account, so I couldn't get ahold of you. They are just what I needed! I really apprecated the deal!

Comment

Hey jim what do you charge for a refin in say neon green???
                I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Hey Jim, email me(address in profile) if you are interested in doing a Schenker paint job on a Gibby V. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Jim, or any of you guys that have refinished guitars, is it possible to just clean up and seal an existing finish, and then repaint it?

I have a dinged up import body that I'd like to repaint, but don't want to go through all the paint stripping. What would you reccomend to seal the old finish with? It's a recent model import Jackson, not sure what mat'l they use to do factory finishes.

thanks

Comment

Hey guys, sorry, I am not currently taking on any work. I am up to my balls in (don't laugh) banjo's I have to shape necks, sand, and finish. I took on 60 with an open offer to continue through another hundred if I choose.

Yes, you can usually finish easily over most paints. If its nitro I wouldn't try using anamel or anything, just stick with the system. I would also level sand the old finish with 400 grit wetsand paper to give the new finish something to "bite" into.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                        Check out this site done by a friend of mine. He's not a pro, but he does damn good work and he's funny as hell!
                        web page
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great, I finally succeed in finding a guy that have the same tobacco sunburst DK1 than me [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                        But your friend has 3 DK1!!! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Damn it!!

[ March 20, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: keogh ]

Comment

Working...
                        X