Jackson USA PUPS vs. Import PUPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson USA PUPS vs. Import PUPS

Is there any difference between the sound and construction quality of the J-50BC, J-200, J-80, J-85, J-90, and J-95 PUPS found on the Charvel Japan import Models 1-6 and their succesors (Model 650XL, 475 Fusions, etc.) vs. the same models found on the USA Solists, Fusions, etc. I am trying to restore a 1990 USA Fusion to its stock PUP specifications, so I bought a pair of J-200's and a J-50BC off a Charvel Model 6 on e-bay. The funny thing is, the J-50BC is too big for the route in the USA Fusion, even though the old Mother of All Info Pages specifies a J-50BC for the USA Fusion. I did get some some good advice on this issue in a previous thread. Another member wrote that, at one time, the covers on the J-50's were oversized. Unfortunately, I found that it was not just the cover. The metal "feet" on the bottom of the PUP are too wide for my Fusion's cavity as well. The guitar tech who is installing the PUPS for me rather politely (but derogatorily nonetheless) stated "It is obvious that these PUPS came out of a Japanese instrument, NOT a USA instrument". The connotation was clear that the PUPs for the Japanese imports were not manufactured to the same quality standards as the USA models. Does anybody have any insight into any of this? I guess I always assumed that PUPs with identical model numbers were, in fact, identical, regardless of the Country of manufacture of the guitar.

Rick

Re: Jackson USA PUPS vs. Import PUPS

Rick, your guitar tech is an arrogant misinformed wannabe! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] All of the Jackson pickups of that time period were wound in house by Jackson in California. The SAME pickups used in the USA models were also used in the Japanese models. In fact, many of the import pickups even have the "made in usa" sticker applied. Although most will say: "model 2 bridge" or similar. However, these are still USA Jackson pickups. I have seen the screw holes mounted both high and low, but a competent tech should be able to make the pickup fit. What is on the back of your J-50 to indicate it's model? I might have a shorter screw hole flanged one we could trade.

Joe
    [email protected]
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Joe:

My PUP says "Model 6 on the back. I wish I had posted this a little sooner. I definitely would have been up for a trade for the correct size, but the tech is already modifying the PUP to fit. Unfortunately, he had to remove the plastic PUP cover to make it fit, thus I lost the "classic" look I was going for. Actually, the he is a good guy, probably the best guy for guitar electronics I have found in my area. Maybe I was misreading his tone. But there was a definite inference that the PUPS on the import models were not the "same" as those on the U.S. models. I think he is more of a vintage Fender and Gibson type guy, so he is probably not as informed on all the nuances of the Jackson/Charvel line as are many of the devotees on this forum. I appreciate your response, you have really put my mind at ease. I thought I was going to go through the hassle of finding a set of "real" USA PUPS for my guitar and it was not easy finding and then winning the bid on e-bay for the ones I have now.

Thanks,
      Rick

Comment

Yeah, as was stated... all the "Jackson" branded pickups from the model series guitar are made in the USA. As a matter of fact, all the hardware on the Japanese Charvels of the time was identical to what was being used on the USA line of Custom Guitars.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Wow! What was the advantage of paying twice the price for the USA models?

Comment

You had the "Made in USA" on the headstock.
            When your friends, audience, etc saw it, you would be instantly worshipped! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Pickups and hardware were the same on USA and most Japanese models of that time period (although lesser materials were used on some imports). But woods were a different story. USA models used choice woods that were carefully selected for both tone and beauty. Not to mention the American craftsmanship that cannot be rivaled. And a true USA Custom was given immense attention to detail as they were (and probably still are) built one at a time.

However, Grover himself made HUGE efforts to build a very respectable Charvel plant in Japan. Many of those guitars are on the same level as their USA counterparts (play a Charvel 750 Soloist Archtop and be humbled!). In 1990 you could buy a USA Production Soloist for $1200 and a Soloist Pro for $999. The USA Fusion was $1100 and the Fusion Pro was $799. So, that's the difference.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
              X