Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You CAN Play the Blues on a Pointy Guitar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You CAN Play the Blues on a Pointy Guitar!

Well, I took my brand-spankin'-new DK2 (it arrived from Musicians Friend this afternoon) to my weekly blues gig tonight and...

After some initial apprehension on the part of the other players, once I plugged the guitar in and started playing, all doubts were dispelled. The DK2 is a great blues guitar!

The JB in the bridge and the two STK-1's sounded great through the late-fifties Epiphone amp that I use at this gig. The guitar may be look like it's made for metal, but it plays the blues like it was born in the Delta!

From slow blues to fast boogies, from rumbas to swing, this thing absolutely nailed the sound I was looking for. And, the neck is so sweet that I played better than I have in quite a while! More fluid, better phrasing, and glorious access to the upper frets (much better than my Strat or anyhting else that I own).

I own a lot of very expensive, vintage guitars (check my profile) that are worth thousands of dollars. Even so, I really believe that this Jackson has become my new "Number One"!

What can I say? Great guitar at a great price -- I'm looking forward to many years of playing my DK2.

I only have one question...

Why does Jackson cater to the metal crowd to the exclusion of musicians in just about any other style? If they'd broaden their marketing, they might find a few more satisfied customers in other genres...

Like me!
    "They put Jesus on a cross, they put a hole in JFK
    "They put Hitler in the driver's seat and looked the other way
    "They got poison in the water and the whole world's in a trance
    "But, just because we're hypnotized, that don't mean we can't dance!"

- Tonio K.

That's great man!
    And believ me ,you can do metal and funk and...everything you want with a H S S Jackson!
    I don't know if Jackson tries or will ever try to Broaden the Customer Profiles ,since ,if anyone thinks of buying a metal guitar ,Jackson is the first brand!So i don't know if it is good to broaden it ,and swimm in unknown seas
    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

J/C's have been seen in the hands of players of all ilks. I think they chase a particular niche, but not necessarily at the exclusion of all others. They've had southern rockers, jazzers, country & pop guitarists on their roster at times. IIRC one of the house guitarists for the Grand Ol' Opry (or whatever it's called) was an endorsee, and both guitarists for Outkast are (or were). The Jazz'r series were clearly made without the metal guitarist in mind.

Glad to hear your new DK2 did such an admirable job at your gig. You might've turned a few people's heads around on the subject
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Congrats, cats!

Got this on video? Youtube, baby!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I played a king V at a pop-rock gig a few times, good tones and turned some heads . The jazz is good for many styles, including blues and um, jazz
          Last edited by levantin; 10-26-2006, 03:01 AM.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by catsize View Post
            Why does Jackson cater to the metal crowd to the exclusion of musicians in just about any other style?
            Well, these days I'd say the reason is spelled FMIC.

Comment

Nice. Hopefully you moshed just a bit too.

Comment

Originally posted by catsize View Post
                The JB in the bridge and the two STK-1's sounded great through the late-fifties Epiphone amp that I use at this gig. The guitar may be look like it's made for metal, but it plays the blues like it was born in the Delta!
                I hear you my friend. I have an older DK1 with SSH configuration and that is my play out guitar. I especially like it for Blues. I was invited to play at a Blues jam at a friends house a couple of months back and I brought my DK1. I got a lot of wierd stares and a couple of comments about coming to the wrong place. Once I plugged into my '59 Bassman and started ripping out my favorite Muddy and Albert King licks, all the doubters were silenced.
                Jackson: DK1
                Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

Worthless post without a clip or video!
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Unfortunately, I didn't tape the show last night. Actually, I don't own a camcorder, so unless I can think of someone from whom to borrow one, I probably won't be able to record any shows in the future, either.

I've got to say, though, I really wish someone had taped the show last night -- It was easily the best I've played in months. I'd have loved to be able to see and hear my own performance, to try to analyze what worked and why it worked. I'm sure the new guitar had something to do with it, but it had to be more than that.

I believe it was because we had two weeks off before last night's show and the new guitar made me enthusiatic about putting it through its paces. Rested and enthused is a good combination that often leads to a good performance.

SouthPlatteDemon: Check my avatar -- Moshing is an essential component in my playing, even at a blues gig! Sometimes it drives the blues "purists" a little nuts, but most folks seem to enjoy hearing something other than just the standard Albert King licks.

daemon barbeque: What you say may well be true, though I would argue that ESP is making huge inroads with the younger metal crowd with their LTD line of guitars.

That said, I think ZZB nails it -- Why would Fender want blues players buying Dinkys instead of Strats and Teles? Short answer, they wouldn't. Fender is probably very happy identifying their various brands with niche markets.

I still think it's too bad, though. My DK2 proved itself a killer blues guitar last night. I wish blues players who are looking at Mexican Fenders would realize that the Jackson is a viable and vastly superior alternative at about the same price point.
                    Last edited by catsize; 10-26-2006, 12:17 PM.
                    "They put Jesus on a cross, they put a hole in JFK
                    "They put Hitler in the driver's seat and looked the other way
                    "They got poison in the water and the whole world's in a trance
                    "But, just because we're hypnotized, that don't mean we can't dance!"

- Tonio K.

Comment

Here's my Blues Monster

:ROTF:
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                        X