Jackson Star model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kurtma View Post
    I'm talking about imports like Jackson for like 5-600 dollars or something.

Well, they don't. That's too bad...... for me........
    Just as an FYI, if you can find an import Star for $600, you have a few things to consider. I've found the imports have substandard electronics. So, say you have to pay $160 for two sets of pickups, $30 for caps and pots, then you have to install them yourself, or pay someone $100 to do it.

Now where are you? $600 + $300 for upgraded electronics, and you still have a neck that isn't as refined as those from the Custom Shop. It is something to consider. Used, I've seen new CS stars go for 900 or so on EBAY.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
      You need to look for a mutt then, like mine:
      Do you ever play this thing, or do you just post pictures of it??

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
        Just as an FYI, if you can find an import Star for $600, you have a few things to consider. I've found the imports have substandard electronics. So, say you have to pay $160 for two sets of pickups, $30 for caps and pots, then you have to install them yourself, or pay someone $100 to do it.

Now where are you? $600 + $300 for upgraded electronics, and you still have a neck that isn't as refined as those from the Custom Shop. It is something to consider. Used, I've seen new CS stars go for 900 or so on EBAY.
        Import Star? Where... That's a rare bird indeed. Maybe a parts guitar. Hopefully if that's the case, the prior owner may have done something to make it a decent guitar. With that said, if you have a Charvel Model-series neck on it (or even a Jackson Pro or Performer), I'd hardly consider it a "less refined" neck. Sure, it's no San Dimas, but with the exception of the finish on it which can be removed if you have some woodworking skills, those necks are as nice as anything that J/C puts out there.

I'd buy imports/parts guitars all day if I ever saw them. Stars are a VERY comfortable guitar to play despite their looks. I like 'em!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          Do you ever play this thing, or do you just post pictures of it??

You are right, I never play it! Cuz I hate the pickup! :ROTF:
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

You are right, I never play it! Cuz I hate the pickup! :ROTF:
            Looks like a Screamin' Demon. If that's the case, I don't blame you. But you could always send the guitar my way if it gets lonely...

Comment

You are right, EagleEyes Olson!

A Distortion will go in there eventually.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post

If you're referring to that import Charvel Star that pops up on Ebay or around here every now and then (white with the old-school lighting bolt), the pickups in the one I had rocked. Wish I'da kept them

And if you see one of those Stars with 3 knobs, that's probably the one that used to be mine, and the knobs and switch were upgraded at some point after I sold it. Course they were probably downgraded when it was sold after that, but if you do find one of those Stars with the original pickups in it, you're getting a pair of the best pickups you'll ever find (as long as you consider the Duncan Distortion the best pickup like me )
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtma View Post
                  Well sure but if it said Made in Japan instead of Made in USA it would drop one grand in price. I just want an alternative.
                  No, you just want Cheaper, with the same quality, and the same name. Not gonna happen, at least not on earth.

Wayne and ESP and Warmoth DIY are currently available alternatives... and guess what: they all cost about the same... and yes, the ESP is MIJ

Comment

You are right, EagleEyes Olson!

A Distortion will go in there eventually.
                    Cool - my $3000 Lasik bill has now been made worthwhile!!

Ever use a Full Shred? One of my favorite p/u's -- at least int he Gunslingers I had. If you've never had one, try it. If your amp has ALOT of gain, you might like what the Full Shred does. I found it to be a nice "middy" pickup with lots of articulation. Made me sound as shitty as I am - my mistakes definitely came though!!

Comment

Working...
                    X