Kelly strap button placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly strap button placement?

Awhile back a pic was posted that showed two Kellys. One pic had the rear strap button (not the one close to the neck) placed about the center of the body. The other pic showed the strap button a little further up (the standard KE2 strap button placement). I need the measurements of the one with the strap button in the center. I'm going to do a little drilling and re-locating the rear strap button.

Thanks

Re: Kelly strap button placement?

my ke-1 has the rear button approx. 8 1/2 inches from the point of the top...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

If you're moving the button to try and keep it from nosediving, you're actually gonna make it worse.
      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

If you're moving the button to try and keep it from nosediving, you're actually gonna make it worse
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It was my understanding with the strap button more in the center, it would be more stable and prevent the "noise dive" Am I mistaken?

Comment

This is where Newc positioned the strap button on his KV3.

All original except for front strap pin moved to edge of neck pocket to correct balance problem.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Perhaps you could put your strap button there.

Comment

Jackson started putting the rear button off-center to try and help the neck-thru Kelly's balance issues (the bolt-necks don't seem to have as much of a problem with it, dependent on the player's preferences). If you move it to the center, the guitar will be more neck-heavy.

Others will suggest a strap that has more friction on your shoulder, or altering the way you lay your forearm against the body. Unless you want to do some severe modifications to the instrument (like I did), there's not much you can do to really fix a Kelly if it has balance issues.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Man, I had a JK-20 and I loved the general design of it even though the parts were junk. I had to re-drill 2 strap holes though to get it to balance. I shouldn't have to wear a huge SRV strap to get it stand right.

I definitely see a USA Kelly in my future.....but not until they take the time to balance the damn thing right!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Late to this thread - I was out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, yeah, if you only move the rear pin, it'll dive worse. You have to move both. Since it's a non-collectible import - feel free to experiment with hole placement. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I put the strap pin on my Kelly (before I got rid of it) about 2 inches down from the top of the horn. (sorry, no pic) Put the screw in the strap pin and lay it on the face of the guitar near the tip of the rear horn, and move it down the edge (like it was attached to the body) and when the tip of the screw is not sticking through the other side of the body (top edge), that's where the screw goes in.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, basically I did exactly what you did Newc and it work well for balancing the guitar. The strap sat a little funny cause it's stretching such a huge area but I had no more problems playing. I also didn't feel guilty drilling into my JK-20 as it was a cheapo import.

I really hope they fix the strap button problem on the KE2's....I really wouldn't want to drill into that.... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X