Latest project.........need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest project.........need help

I just can't decide where to go with this one. I want a flame top axe. I have all the basics, but I can't decide on body wood, neck, fretboard, frets, inlays, tuners, pickups, bridge, case, strings, picks , etc. Any opinions? Here's what I got so far:

I know, these aren't exactly book-matched, but I got 'em cheap and they are supposedly at least pamphlet matched.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Latest project.........need help

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I know, these aren't exactly book-matched, but I got 'em cheap and they are supposedly at least pamphlet matched.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ROFLLOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well, looking at the avatar a Floyd is an obvious choice...

Hey, let´s have everyone choose ONE part, that would be interesting [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

1. pamphlet-matched maple top
    2. Gold Floyd Rose
    3. ?

Comment

3. Mahogany body
      Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

4. Flame maple neck

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah, I can see PM Maple over mahogany with the gold hardware! Probably be best to use a good cheap grade manogany for the body huh? But the neck....where can I find pamphlet matched neck wood?

Comment

Although my choice has been made,might I suggest an African Blackwood fingerboard?
            Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

<font color="aqua">I'm thinking Carvin neckthrough blank with some options added like blank paddle headstock to come up with your own shape and no inlays- [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Dave, can you order a Carvin neck without the dots? I'm assuming you can but, have you ever ordered one like that? If so how much did it run you? (if you don't mind me asking.)

Comment

mahogany body, maple top. If the top is 1/4 inc do natural binding...if not use ivory binding.

heres how my project turned out

shawnlutz.com

Comment

Now that looks sweet! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Maple over Mahoghany w/Gold Hardware.....How's this ?

Some Jap guitar I got ! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

That is awesome. I love maple over mahogany anyway. Hell, I was just kidding with this thread but now I might have to build something!

Comment

hey mark, if you go gold, i recommend a blue top, but that's me. i had some blue candy sitting around and i thought what the hell and i tried it on quilt. here's the result:

i was concerned that since i wasn't dyeing it that the figuring wouldn't flash and move in the light like a dyed top. holy shit, was i wrong.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That's just straight candy paint over wood???? That looks fucking awesome!

Comment

yep. originally, i dyed it dark, sanded it back, and shot the candy, but i didn't lay it on evenly and i had dark spots. i had to take it back to bare wood, sanded it to 320, and laid the candy blue right on the surface and cleared it about 30 min later. i'd been told that a lot of trans finishes are just tinted clear, and hell, isn't that pretty much what candy is? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X