X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't know what I was missing..

Hey guys, I've got a soloist pro, serial number J002537. Here's a pic:

http://www.bratch.co.uk/coven/jacksong.jpg

she's pretty beat up in places, part of the headstock fell off at one point but its glued back together and plays great - might need a fret job soon...

anyway, ages ago I blocked the trem because it was worn to hell and the tuning was all over the place. The trem is so old that some of the screw holes have lost their thread, and parts of it are actually held together with glue [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

so today I bought a new one. Made by takeuchi, trs-101 (think I've seen it on some ibenhads). I know what you'll say, 'wtf get an ofr on there' and you're right - but this was a steal at only £40 (they retail for £110 but I know the guy in the guitar shop, and it was just spare stock they had lying around).

Put it in after a bit of strategic chiselling to make it fit [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] and it's GREAT. I've been missing out on a floyd for ages but after reading a few threads on this forum I decided to put it back and I love it. Stays in tune absolutely perfectly and it's great fun [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

anyway so thanks for this great forum, it inspired me to rediscover the potential of this guitar, and I'm verrrry happy

regards
    john

Re: I didn\'t know what I was missing..

Chiselling? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

I thought you won a Gotoh one on Ebay.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

yeah, luckily I got in touch with the guy before the auction ended and he agreed to give it to the second highest bidder instead. Plus it was gold, would've looked a bit out of place!

Comment

Ouch, I could have never done that to such a nice guitar to use such a junk part... poor thing. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

to be fair it does seem very well made to me. If it sounds good and stays in tune then I'm not really sure how much better an OFR could be. Of course I've never used one.....
          what are the advantages?

thanks guys. and sorry if it's a bit controversial/plain stupid

john

Comment

when you're in the UK looking for guitars/parts, you use what you can. fucking prices there are insane.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Basically, a Floyd would have fit in that rout without modifications. The biggest problem you might have run into are the rear lock screws being a little too long, but thats no big deal. Another thing about a real Floyd is that the base is hardened, and will virtually never wear out (nothing is forever though lol).
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I find that the Mighty Mite Trems are good Schaller copies for the bucks. They're like the old JT-500...

Comment

skorb makes a good point - an Schaller over here costs roughly £170 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] However I do accept what RobRR is saying and some day I will get a real floyd, as I am very sure that in the long run it would be better.

One thing I will say is that this guitar will never be sold. Partly because they are grossly undervalued here (with the prominence of indie-disco and the like, EVERYBODY wants a fender [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]). Also, although I've been playing for a long time this was my first taste of a *real* guitar and out of all the ones I own, this is the one I want to hold on to. It's a solid, great-playing guitar and where I live it's also very individual.

Jackson for life, and sorry if I've broken any hearts!

Comment

Oddly enough, the only Floyds that have ever given me reliability problems have been Schallers. The Takeuchi (or whatever the JT-580LPs are) trems have never failed me.
                    sigpic

Comment

"strategic chiselling " is an oxy-moron when it comes to guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

you did what with that junk?!?! man...... someone here might have shipped you one if you asked first! That gotoh would have been better....IMO. Friends don't let friends chisel guitars!

Comment

Some friends you are then [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, drop the attitudes towards the guy - he did what he felt he had to do to get the results he wanted. I doubt anyone here woulda just shipped the guy an OFR or Schaller [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                          Even a long-standing "bro" rarely gets that level of "bro-ness".

The playability of the guitar isn't ruined, and don't dare say the resale value was affected [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

well, i'm not really throwing a tude' ...I guess if it works,
                            I meant he could of paid a decent price for one and shipping from one of us, and would have paid less than in the UK.
                            Oh yeah, Dr. Newcenstien.........
                            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X