Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Inlays - Red & Orange Inlay Material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Inlays - Red & Orange Inlay Material?

I'm thinking about ordering a custom with some special inlay work. But I really want to do this with a nice high quality red & orange inlay material. Think MOP: same quality, hardness and figuring/patterns, but in vibrant, deep red and orange colors.

For example, what do you think the green flame inlays in the pic below are made of?...

Might that come in red and orange variations, too? If not, anyone know of any quality materials that'll make this idea work for me and that the custom shop could use? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Custom Inlays - Red & Orange Inlay Material?

Hey hey. Sometimes what they do is paint the back of clear plastic and lay it upside down. That's what they did for my green shark fins.
    LATER!!!
    H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

For example, what do you think the green flame inlays in the pic below are made of?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Paint
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I know when peavey did the jason becker numbers they routed out the no.s painted the cavity and filled with epoxy. I suspect this is fairly common
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Can't you get abalone in different colours?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            anyone know of any quality materials that'll make this idea work for me and that the custom shop could use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the same stuff that suckers are made out of...

Comment

WTF? [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Can't you get abalone in different colours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Abalone has some natural color to it, but the entire piece of material won't generally have consistent coloring throughout. For instance, I have had green abalone inlays made for a couple of guitars, and although there is definitely some blue-green color to it, it's still mostly silver.

I'm sure abalone and mother-of-pearl can be stained, but if someone wanted consistent color, I think artificial materials would be the way to go. Personally, I would just use natural materials as they are, but that's just me.
                sigpic

Comment

I've seen red, maroon, and pink abalone. That's the route I'd take. If you'll notice, there are some variations in green on the fretboard shown above. Just shop around till you find the abalone that suits your needs.
                  "POOP"

Comment

Jackson has also done inlays in red and white plastic. There are a couple of Rhoads out there with those inlays.

They were made for Eric Von Theumer (an employee of Jacksn at the time) of the local Glendora/LA band Blitzkrieg back in '85.

They don't look bad.
                    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I guess my initial preference would be to stick with a natural material. They just look and feel better. Then again, I've yet to see a natural material that would give me the look I'm hoping for with this one.

The plastiod inlays that I've seen/felt on some imports would be a turn-off for me. But, if someone has pics of a high quality and good looking man-made alternative, I'd certainly give it a shot.

Comment

Don't be so hasty...

I just found some photos from a Blitzkrieg show and I'll scan them here in a few. The red inlays look really cool.

Comment

Also Rob Wittes black and yellow striped Jackson Firebird has yellow plastic binding and inlays.
                          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

A few shots of Blitzkrieg in action. Photos taken in July of '85 at 'The Timbers' club in Glendora CA (only 3 minutes from the San Dimas facility). The 2 guitarists Jeff Johnson & Eric Von Theumer and the bass player Neil Moore were all employees of C/J and they all had some unique & cool guitars.

The red inlays ROCK!...IMHO. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Very cool guitar. I dig it. (Love the striped Charvel, too.) Thanks very much for posting those pics.

Not the look I'm going for, though. The color's about right, but it needs to have some figuring to it. Think MOP looks-wise, but in that kind of red. Along with an orange version, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X