Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished a new project! (dialup beware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just finished a new project! (dialup beware)

Being an employee of a large telephone company, I can assure you that there are lots of, as you say, "losers" on dail-up. The reasons being numerous, up to and including the customer's CO (central office) not being upgraded for DSL service.

Other customers don't feel the need to pay $30 or more for high-speed internet service because of varying reasons as well. One of them being affordability. If you're not making a lot of money it stands to reason that you're not going to spend what little money you have on a broadband internet connection.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      ???

I'm not understanding how you get October of 91 from "10/1". My impression is that the number means October 1st of whatever model year that was, I'm guessing maybe 93 or later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im just going by previous experiences... for example, a Kelly Performer neck I have here is stamped 0.1.26 which should mean January 26, 2000/1990 (have no idea when this guitar was built). Here are the markings in question, feel free to correct me:

Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Anyway, on to the guitar... Just got to plug it into my rig (was too late last night, was just using my GuitarPort) and wow... this thing SCREAMS. This is the first time Ive used 1meg pots, and along with no tone knob to suck more tone, this thing is balls to the walls wide open. The Jazz is acually a little brighter than I expected it to be. Absoulutley no feedback either... guess the shielding and larger grounds really did the trick! As for the neck... Im loving the feel of the maple fretboard. Smooth and fast. I think I might take it in to have the frets leveled one day... I cant get the action as low as Id like without some buzz. The neck is very thin, especially compared to the DKMG's neck. Overall, for 4 hours of work Im extremely happy with the turnout! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Very nice job Rob. I'm almost ready to put my Mod 3-A back together and the wiring is the part I'm dreading.

-Sol

[/ QUOTE ]

Just take your time with the wiring, always make sure to leave a little extra just in case. Check out my DIY Wiring and Soldering article in the Tech section for some more in-depth details. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

nice work! the maple neck/board is a mutch better match to the body color IMO. very cool.

-Mike
            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I'm not really here to correct you per se, just to understand and possibly help if I can. When it comes to placing a proper date/year on a guitar the only thing I go on is model name and from there, see if I can narrow things down by any feature variations within the model's lifetime.

Now with your PS-6 (Performer Kelly), it was made between 1997 and 1999. So, I'm not seeing that numbering pattern as fitting into those dates.

Now going back to your guitar that started this thread, which is the DR-3, it was made from 1996-2001. The MoAIP mentions that the grauvere top was available in 1996 but seems to have switched to just a tobacco flamed maple or mahogany top for the 1997 model year.

<font size=-2>*This is the info from the old MoAIP. </font>
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanks Tekky! So the finish is called grauvere? Is it screened on or is it an acual wood top? If so, any idea how thick it might be?

Comment

Grauvere is Jackson speak for a photo.

Comment

yep, 'quiltesque' [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I have two just like your original, my first jackson too! After I got the second (absolute steal) I compared the finishes and they were very near identical, so obviously painted. They still rock though! Love 'em both.

Comment

Genebaby is on the money.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Thats kinda what I figured... I could never see a difference in wood looking in the cavity. Ah well, its a cool paint scheme then. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I see you shielded both the cavity and the cover plate, but it doesn't look like you left any foil hanging over the edge of the cavity. Does it get a good conenction to the plate? I always leave a bit going over right where the screw hole is so I get a nice electrical connection when the plate's screwed on.

your soldering looks so much nicerthan mine. It's not all burned.

Comment

Working...
                          X