Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy this Jackson?

Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to purchase a Jackson DK2 left handed through Ebay. The seller says that its brand new, but is missing its warranty and manual. Furthermore, he wants me to make my own receipt for the transaction, which he wouldn't mind signing. I haven't seen the guitar, and I can only see it on Monday, which is when the seller will bring the guitar to my town, and then I can go pick it up personally, and pay him cash for it.

My question is, do you guys think that I should go for this guitar? He is offering me a good price, I mean I know since I have been after DK2s for about a year and a half. If I pass this guitar, then I'm stuck with my guitar center order, which only God knows when it will be delivered and I can pick it up.

The serial number he gave me is this: 0009705998

What can you guys figure from that serial number? Please reply soon guys, I need your help. Peace.

Re: Should I buy this Jackson?

That serial is entirely too long for a Jackson. Drop the three zeros in the front and it's a recent DK2, but if it's just like that, it's not possible.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Guys one more thing. Can you guys can tell me what to look for when I actually go see the guitar? I mean I have no experience in electric guitars and this would be my first purchase, ever. So, can you guys tell me what to look for, like what are some unfixable things or things that will cost a fortune. Hope it makes sense. Thanks again guys!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        That serial is entirely too long for a Jackson. Drop the three zeros in the front and it's a recent DK2, but if it's just like that, it's not possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply Newc. Can you tell me how recent would this guitar be?

Comment

do you have pix, or an ebay link so we can see pix?
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

7-digit "97" serials started in 2001 I think.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc, only if there was a more specific date of manufacture date. What are your views about my problem though, do you think I should go for it?

Sully, here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

well, here's my opinion.....

i have no doubt that it's real; why on earth would someone fake an import left handed model? if the seller's feedback is good, i'd see no reason not to go through with the transaction.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

ah, regarding what to look for, as long as it stays in tune, and the neck is straight, you'll probably be fine.
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Well sully, you have seen the auction, what is the vibe you get from it? About the stays in tune, neck straight, and frets, is there a quick way for a noob like me to tell this? I'm sorry bro, this will be my first electric.

Also, the guy says that he has no warranty documents from Jackson, plus no manual. Do you think Jackson could still somehow cover this guitar, since it is new, but without the warranty. Thanks again everyone and sully. Peace.

Comment

I bought a new righty DK2 off of ebay not to long ago. Something to watch out for - is it stamped "USED" on the headstock? Mine was, and it came with no serial number. Other than that, it was 100% brand new, with clear plastic protecting the truss rod cover and tuners. It sound great and plays great. $285 w/o the case ($25) and whammy bar ($6.95). Shipping was $53 because the case and guitar were shipped on separate auctions.

Comment

Some stores have an annoying practice of putting their own stock number on instruments, which some people interpret as the serial number. It seems to be most common with used or refurbished items, or factory seconds, but I suspect that this DK2 is legit. Nothing in the description or pictures makes me think otherwise, and I've bought new gear many times that didn't have the warranty card or manual.
                        sigpic

Comment

The real trick when checking out an electric guitar is to differentiate between problems, and setup issues. High action or fret buzz could be as simple as a trussrod and bridge adjustment, to as problamatic as frets rising out of their slots or a warped neck. The former is what occurs 99% of the time, since climate changes cause things to move.

You said this is your first electric instrument, so I'm assuming you know what to look for on an acoustic. Look for all those things that are not acoustic guitar specific (like cracked bridge pins and what not), and then move on to looking for noisy/scratchy pots/switches, non-fuctioning pickups, moveable parts that are worn or rusted to the point of not moving, etc.

Sully, is there something in the archives or a sticky for this sort of thing? It seems like it would be a good idea to have a buyer's guide with everything you need to check before purchasing.

Comment

I smell a rat!!!

Too many irregularities here...

[img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

Does no one else see that this guitar was built BACKWARDS!?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X