Has anyone ever considered this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever considered this?

I have been playing 5 years now, and I just never seem to be at the level I think I should be at. I have been thinking about selling off my gear to just get a 1 guitar 1 combo setup, go back to basics, just get my mind back to playing I guess, has anyone ever done this? has it worked?

Re: Has anyone ever considered this?

No. We are all pack rats. Always buying, never selling.

Comment

Yep, then when your looking for that piece of gear you sold you'll be taking your name in vain. Keep your stuff, unless you upgrade to new and better. Or you have a cool guitar I want. Then you can sell it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I did that and it made me appreciate what I have (or had). Also made me practice more. Kinda thought of it as "earning" my gear back. It worked, and now I just can't stop buying crap!

Comment

I sold all of my gear back in 1998, in 2000 started playing getting stuff again. started w/ Hamer Archtop & small Peavey combo amp, I didnt practice/play more then than I do now, & of course I regret selling some of my stuff.
          KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
          I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Really if you are not gigging, you dont need more than 1 or 2 guitars & a good combo amp. In my case I'm still hoping that eventually I'll get together with a few other musicians just to jam on a regular basis. I'm not really looking to get into doing shows on a regular basis. But of course I will get more than I need so that I have my dream collection.
            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

"Need" and "want" are two different things.

The "excess" gear is not the problem. That's like the terrorists saying they can't focus on their religious studies because of Ben Affleck's new movie [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

YOU are the problem with your development, not the gear. If it's distracting you from your practice routine, pluck out your eyes so you can't see it, or simply ignore it and focus on your practicing.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I posted about a month ago that I was frustrated at the level I was at [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...page=25#447586

Though I mentioned about selling my stuff, I didn't, but I did pack them away. So I've gone about a month without playing the guitar. I needed a break away from frustration. It's tough when you look back at all the practice and time you put in and think you should be at a certain level.

I'm still in that funk, but I'm sure I'll get the urge again. Try shaking things up a bit. I quit the band I was playing with. I stopped taking lessons. I started recording material, so eventually I'll have to pick up the guitar for tracks. In the future, I may be with a different band, or by myself. I may search out a different teacher. 9 years, in my case makes me throw my hands down in disgust, if I look at it like that. I know how you feel. I still have it. Hold your stuff for now!
                Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Unless you're being distracted by all your gear, I think discipline, dedicated practice time and a good practice routine are the key to getting better, not stripping yourself of the gear you own.

We're never too good and it's never too late to take some lessons either. There's nothing better than being exposed to some new ideas when you're in a rut.
                  Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

its even worse when people say that you play better when you're drunk!

Comment

My two cents...

1 - Don't sell your gear...Oh - how I wish I still had all the guitars/amps I once did!!!

2 - Yes, take lessons!!! Or buy an instructional video!!! Do something to inject new life into your playing/routine...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        We're never too good and it's never too late to take some lessons either. There's nothing better than being exposed to some new ideas when you're in a rut.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

I just started taking lessons again about two and a half months ago, and it really has boosted my desire to play again. I'm learning a bunch of cool new stuff, plus fixing a bunch of old problems that were frustrating me and keeping from playing.

Comment

Keep your guitars unless you have financial problem like I had.
                          Spend more time on guitars and you will be better and better everyday.
                          Maybe getting in a band or jam with other people would be great as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Don't sell your gear...Oh - how I wish I still had all the guitars/amps I once did!!!

[/ QUOTE ] So true my friend. My god, I have sold some nice stuff over the years. Several early Marshall heads, nice Gibsons and Jacksons.

Now, I am stock piling guitars throughout the house. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Well, you don't need to sell your gear. However, I have found that for me, personally, getting back to basics really helped.

I love guitars, man...I love them more than I love playing them. I used to have GAS like you would not believe...I spent all my money on guitars and amps. Had some great stuff too, really great stuff. But then, I went through a period where I couldn't even afford a single guitar, I had none. Didn't play for over a year. Then, for almost a decade, I had a strat and a Peavey Studio 112 combo amp. No effects, just clean, distortion and reverb. I played with that combination the whole time....sometimes I played every day for a week, sometimes the guitar would sit there with a broken string for a month..untouched. But, I played...and I played with a very pure setup. Something I could not hide behind. No Marshall super saturated through a Lexicon with a ton of delay and reverb. No crutches, nothing. When I started playing more regularly about 4 months ago I noticed that my chops had really improved. Speed was up, accuracy was up, tone ws up, vibrato, control etc. With some different equipment (I bought a V-Amp Pro for hotel room use as I have been living out of one for 6 months), I really had the desire to play again...and I found that I could learn MUCH more than I could before...when I had enough equipment to make Steve Vai jealous but not enough ability.

Of course, I have GAS again...but really can't feed it like I used to. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
                              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                              X