Can a person use a JAckson body with a Warmoth nec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a person use a JAckson body with a Warmoth nec

Just curious if any of the imports or USA bodies can accomodate the 22 fret neck or the 24 fret extension?!? Do they offer a direct bolt-in?!? Just curious as ive been toyign with doing a lil project!!!

Re: Can a person use a JAckson body with a Warmoth nec

If the body is originally scaled for a 22 fret neck, I don't see why not... as long as the neck fits in the pocket right. If not you could probably shave or shim if needed.

As for the holes in the butt of the neck, if you get a new Warmoth neck they're not drilled so you can use a nail or something to punch pilot holes and drill 'em yourself so you know you won't have a problem having the holes match up to the neck pocket and plate.

If you get a project going be sure to show us all [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] you already knew that of course.

Comment

Re: Can a person use a JAckson body with a Warmoth nec

do not use a nail, as you'll risk splitting the wood.
      use a thin drill bit.

Comment

Re: Can a person use a JAckson body with a Warmoth

Jackson's neck pocket is fundamentally different from Warmoth's neck pocket, I've been told on numerous occasions. Warmoth products are licenced by Fender, so they use their specifications.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Jackson's neck pocket is fundamentally different from Warmoth's neck pocket, I've been told on numerous occasions. Warmoth products are licenced by Fender, so they use their specifications.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can bolt a Warmoth neck onto any Jackson or Charvel body that was originally designed for a 22 fret Jackson-headstock neck. (The Charvel s-headstock necks are narrower at the heel by 1/8" than a Warmoth, so a Warmoth body and a s-headstock Charvel neck will work, but not the other way around.)

I actually have an '83 or '84 Charvel body with a Warmoth neck on it.

You cannot use an Warmoth neck on a C/J designed for a 24 fret neck. The Warmoth 24 fret neck is a conversion neck for guitar bodies made for a standard 22/21 fret neck. The Jackson 24 fret neck/body (and all other manufactured guitars that I know of)uses a different neck pocket, so you could never intonate a guitar built from mixed/matched parts in this case.

Comment

It applies to just the 24-fret bodies... sorry for the confusion before. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

That's why I said if the body was originally designed for a 22 fret neck, there's no scale problem [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for the neck/pocket fit, I have a feeling it'll be pretty close, so that you could modify the butt of the neck or shim it to get it straight if you need to. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Jackson and Charvel pointy neck heels on the 22 fret necks are 1 1/4" while the standard Fender heel size is 1 3/16". This means the Warmoth neck pocket on the body is smaller than the neck's heel. If you go the opposite way, and taken a Warmoth neck with a 1 3/16" heel and put it on a C/J body with a 1 1/4" pocket, it will fit, but there will be a gap on the sides. Both ways are doable, but they'll require some wiggling and ingenuity.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

My guitar with a Warmoth neck/Charvel body has a very small gap - not enough to fit a credit card in. It didn't take any special effort to get it to work. I just bolted the neck on and went with it. If you went the other way around, shaving the neck heel down would definitely take some serious thought. My experience bolting on the smaller necks to bodies with larger neck pockets (also done Charvel s-heads to Warmoth bodies) is that it works fine. If the gap offends you, you can put a small shim in there, but the gap doesn't hurt the stability of the guitar at all.

Comment

Thanks guys, i was hoping for a "bolts right in" answer and I dont wanna destroy anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X