string spacing, huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string spacing, huh?

ok, this may sound stupid to some of you, but what string spacing do J/C guitars usually have?

I finally decided to get myself an L500XL for my charvel mod 5FX, I read the ordering instructions on bill lawrence homepage and got stuck reading this;

"On the line where is says, "Payment For" please fill in the items you want, the color, and string spacing ( either Gibson or Fender) when needed."...

I never played anything but my jacksons^charvels , so is it more fenderish or gibsonish?

I once played a friends squire which I remember to have closer strings compared to my PS3T, but that's years ago, so... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

could anyone help me out please?
    what's the one to order for me?
    thx & best regards///micha
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Re: string spacing, huh?

I think Gibson spacing is non Floyd spacing which is a regular spacing.
    Fender spacing probably means tremolo/floyd spacing which is bit wider.
    Like Dimarzio and Duncan sell Fspaced pickups designed for tremolo equipped guitars.

So I'd say if your guitar has tremolo, go with Fender spacing.

Comment

I just put an F-Spaced(52mm) Humbucker from Swineshead in my 5FX. I think the JT-6 trem is actually spaced for "Gibson"(50mm) style bridge pickups. I can't hear any real problem with the high and low E strings.

Comment

I think there is not a problem using Gibson spacing pickups with Floyd.
        Look at some of 80's guitar pics when companies were only ofering Gibson spacing pickups, the poles were way far from strings.

Comment

thanks for your replies guys.
          I put a schaller floyd into that thing if that' some help... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

so fender is the one to go for?

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Don't the L-500 have blades, rather than pole pieces? String spacing shouldn't matter in that case

Comment

The 500's are indeed blades, so string spacing is irrelevant.
                "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Agreed. Pole piece spacing only applies if you have individual pole pieces.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Agreed. Pole piece spacing only applies if you have individual pole pieces.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Yep.

For those that need it: If your E strings are 2 inches apart or more (center to center), go for a trembucker /F-spaced. If it´s less, a standard spaced hummie will line up better [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] does make scence even to me.
                      feel kinda dumb now actually...
                      I think too complicated sometimes I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      but thanks for your help!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X