Lynn Ellsworth necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynn Ellsworth necks

I had posted some time back about the possibility of Lynn Ellsworth making some stratheads based upon the very same templates of early Charvel necks.

The storefront promoting these items has gotten them in.
    Solidbodyguitar.com is selling these necks for 550.00.
    (Kenny Reardin said since he quoted me 250.00, he'd sell them for 500.00 to me)

The apparent reason for the cost difference is that the necks are finished and sealed. This sealer reminds me of how some MIJ Fenders like the Heartfield line and the HM series had their necks finished. It's not a poly, but a very satin feel and opaque in appearance..not sure what they used or how it was achieved. He says it is the same as the early charvels.

Again, these are stratheads with Lynn Ellsworth's signature and date of completion on the heel (I believe they were all made in August). The profile is nice, it is on the thin side-fast neck. Since I have not had the pleasure of playing a prepro-I can't tell ya how accurate this claim of being the same as an actual early Charvel is, but I know Kenny has some early Charvels from around prepro era and he says they are the same. (Course, he's a salesperson for 25+ years as well) One of the major selling points on this is he says the stock that these were made from the same wood stock that has been in Lynn Ellsworth garage since the early days.. the same wood blanks the early Charvel and Boogie Body necks were made from.

They are 22 fret, 6105 frets (most, not sure if all are),
    1-5/8" nut, maple with rosewood board, maple with maple board. They truss adjust at the heel.
    However..there is no skunk stripe or acorn on the 4 that I looked at and the dots looked slightly farther spaced than early Charvels. So.. in reality, they are not the real deal exact copy replacements Kenny was touting these would be even tho he is saying they are "just like the originals."
    They only have 6 left out of about 12-15 in the order.
    (He held back 6 for himself)

So, if you're intersted...I'd thought I'd pass this along.
    They are quality necks and @ 250.00, I'd consider possibly one or two..but at 500-600.00/ea.. I'm gonna pass. They have a black painted headstock on one...appearantly the headstock wasn't visually appealing in it's natural form...so this was the only one painted and lacquered. They have no birdseye or flame..nothing fancy..just the shape and the wood.

I'd ask for pics if you are intersted or feel like giving him grief. If you want me to pick one up for you.. I will.
    They're just down the road about 3-4 miles from me.

They have an awesome classic Marshall collection and some killer boutique amps. Quite an extensive Fender and Fender Jaguar/ and some nice Gibson's too. They are the only store carrying Cornfords I've seen in Minnesota and have a nice Soldano display for sale. (and no, I don't work there)

http://www.solidbodyguitar.com/

Re: Lynn Ellsworth necks

<font color="yellow">Cool info Tom and a nice gesture to pick one up for somebody also bro [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I may have to look into those at some point [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Ah...I have a Strathead neck inbound anywho......maybe later [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

I'd pass too. Man, at that price I'll make my own!
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I'm not sure what GMW stratheads are going for now..but these are hand signed &amp; dated by Lynn and are probably much along the same lines.

I personally would be just as happy with a Warmoth.
        Oh, they are straight, non floyd nut cut as well.
        (nut is not included)

Comment

Oiling a neck does not warrant a $200 upcharge.

Comment

Yea, it cost me $13.00 at Woodcraft Supply for a quart of Urethane oil. I did two necks, six applications (coats)each, steel wooling between each coat and it looks like I still have a quart left!! The stuff goes real far. $200 is insane! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Oiling a neck does not warrant a $200 upcharge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.. I didn't appreciate being quoted half of what they decided to sell these at. I'm not sure what they sealed them with.

Comment

Did anyone get one of these necks? Just curious what they thought of it.

-Jason

Comment

I seriously doubt it. If they did.... overpriced is what they probably thought.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

This seems like something of a scam. No skunk, dots off etc. If they were exact, then I could see the serious price for obvious reasons, but Warmoth makes a pretty decent non-exact copy for less then half of that.
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Oh, I agree with the discontent of stating it would be exact and having them show up with no skunk stripe. The dots seemed to vary in the gallery on pre pro and early production if I recall...so that is mere cosmetic issue on the whole.

The only pros I thought was they're hand signed and dated from Lynn Ellsworth, made from reputed old stock woods as the original boogie bodies (so 30-35 year stock at least) and from the same templates. The wood was nice but on the whole, for 500-550 &amp; tax... warmoth can gladly treat you to a great product with exotic tone woods.

These were maple/rose or maple/maple, very plain jane neck- no fancy birdseye or curly flame that would run ya 200.00 at Warmoth...which was what they told me originally.. 250.00 per neck. I thought "if they come with documentation, and they're exact..sure I'd be interested"
                      I was even excited until they told me the price and still tried to schmooze the "it's like the original" pitch on me.
                      Kenny can be honest, but he's a saleperson too and he can be full of BS unless you ask him direct questions or make the observation of difference yourself.

It is a store for the very eclectic sometimes. I have not been in there since.

Comment

I've checked out some of the prices on their vintage guitars and they are fucking ridiculous! Over $100,000 for a 1959 Gibson LP Standard, give me a break! Sounds to me like these dudes need some 14 pound watermelon suppository enemas to flush their heads out of their asses! Click on the website that charvelguy posted and you be the judge.
                        "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

I guess you haven't been in the market for a '59 Burst lately? That's about where they start...

Comment

How close can you get a Warmoth neck to an old San Dimas? I've been toying with the idea of building a replica because real ones are out of reach finacially for me. Looking at there website I'm guessing that a vintage/modern neck with a 12" radius and modern profile would be the way to go since there is a skunk stripe, 21 frets and the dots appear to be closer together at the 12th fret than the complete vintage style. I've never played an old Charvie, but I guess it would be close enough? The body seems to be a little more difficult to get as the electronics routes are obviously different. Although on Warmoths site they will custom cut a body from a template or drawing, so I don't see why it should be too hard for them to route the electronic cavity different. Any thoughts?

-Jason

Comment

The Warmoth necks are "in the ballpark" close...close enough, I'd think, for the dosh and quality. I'd sure go that route before I'd go with Customwoods. I've never played a Customwoods neck, but I had one here for a couple weeks to check out. It was supposedly a San Dimas copy, with brass dots and "reliced". I wasn't all that impressed with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X