Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping from japan

Not sure where to post this.

I am in final stages of wrapping up a 9 Charvel deal (6 Strat Heads!!) BUT it is from a collector in Japan.

Does anyone know about shipping, would it be best to bundle them and ship in a container or ?? Anyone ever ship form overseas??

Any ideas on how to do this or cost...hopefully I can close the deal and get them state side. Just wondering what is best way to ship.

He also suggested maybe dismantling them and shipping them that way but I rather ship them as complete guitars.

Thanks in advance for any help

Admins if this is in the wrong area feel free to move the thread. Thanxs

Cheers
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Re: Shipping from japan

Dismantled, in two or three boxes packed tightly and securely FedEx insured, and you can probably do it for less than a grand. It'll cost you an arm and a leg, but I'd say get them here as fast as you can.

Doing the boat trip in a container? Standard Cargo/Freight? I'd avoid that on any high dollar item. You might have to wait a few months before you get it, have to deal with Customs inspections, import broker, etc... I'd avoid the cheapest alternatives. Packages often get misplaced or lost, and if they don't, you won't see them for at least a month after shipping. Then again, I'm more familiar doing this with firearms, not guitars. Who knows... you might get them in as little as a few weeks, but expect them to be fully inspected... i.e. boxes opened, cases opened, possibly even electronics and trem cavities opened for inspection.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for the info...do I need to declare Customs before shipping or once it gets state side?

The collector also thinks it will be best (safer and faster shipping) to dismantle the guitars and ship the cases separetly via boat (1 month ro so wait).

I am trying to find out more about customs etc now... thanks again for the input it is much appreciated.
      Cheers
      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel

Comment

<font color="yellow">It's too bad you don't know anybody in the Armed Forces over there in Japan. IF you do however, life is good. APO/FPO post offices are the same rates/services as the Continental US.

If I ever go over again in the next 8 years or so, we are definitely going to talk some business [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If I was still there, I'd do it for you Trace [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img].

Customs is a bitch, especially post Sept 11th.

It is going to be expensive bro [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

There is no import tax if the guitars were shipped by postal service.
          I used Fedex before and I ended up paying import tax(or it was broker fee or something).
          I don't recommend to ship by boat which takes 1 month to receive and think of all the humidity the guitars will receive while in the transit.

The best way to receive guitars is by EMS(expreas mail service by postal service) and takes only 5-7business days.
          You can track its location by visiting usps.com.
          It will probably cost around $100-130 each guitar to U.S.

Comment

Also to add, shipping by boat, usually there is no tracking # to track its location.

Comment

Yes, I think it would be safer to use EMS which IS delivered by USPS... I didn't think of that. Good call! *thumbs up*

Avoid freight. It might only cost you $100 to ship, but then import taxes will add up, and like he said, there is usually no way to track a package that doesn't involve a lot of paperwork.

Also... You do need to declare value and contents before shipping. You can't say it's worth $500 if you're insuring it for $5000. They'll tax you on insured value, if they're going to tax at all.

That's why I said use the more expensive shipping method. You usually avoid most hastles.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I also think because you are bringing U.S. made products back into the U.S., there shouldn't be any import tax.

Comment

Trace,
                  I will tell you for a deal on one of those stratheads [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Just kidding EMS is the way to go.

Comment

There shouldn't be any import tax since they're all USA made....

- Joel
                    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                    RIP Dime

Comment

excellent info guys..thanks so much...I will look into EMS cost and conditions. The cost is secondary to getting them here safe and sound.

From my talks with the collectors translator (brooker) I think I am responsible for import taxes/customs. I am looking into that part now but I would want them insured for their true value just in case anything happened.

Many thanks guys..I REALLY appreciate your input and the EMS suggetsion. Wish me luck I love to close this deal...they are awesome Charvels.

Thanks Again and Happy Holidays

Comment

FYI, I imported 4 guitars at once to U.S. by EMS and there was no import tax.
                        I actually never paid any tax when I received guitars from Japan by EMS.
                        Even many E-bay sellers from Japan say that if you are in U.S,there is no import tax when you buy guitars from Japan... of course not most of them are cheap guitars though.

Comment

When Rob sent me the Davis Soloist, I didn't have to pay any sort of customs fee. They just dropped it off like it was any old package. However, since the insurance will have to atleast match the declaration, you may have to pay something as you are looking at a lot of money in merchandise. I am quite sure they will scrutinize a five figure declaration.

Comment

you might try asking here? Just a try
                            http://www.itintl.com/forum/forum1.h...f40d5ed3e1e942

Comment

I bought an Orville Goldtop from Japan. It was shipped by EMS, took 5 days, and was about $115. No import taxes, fees, etc.

So you're looking at a about a grand...but they would be there in a week. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X