Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

please dont banish me o jackson/charvel lords...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please dont banish me o jackson/charvel lords...

i have maybe what would seem a stupid question. what is a "shannon" soloist? is it like worth more or something?
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Re: please dont banish me o jackson/charvel lords...

A Shannon Soloist is a soloist handmade made by Mike Shannon. They are worth more and are collected for the most part. I have never played one so I am not sure of any differences. I know Brett, Slayer, and LPC all have at least one. They should be around today to better inform you.

Comment

It was a special run of guitars that had a couple of the older style specs like binding nibs by the frets, old style heel, and non-recessed tremolo. Mike Shannon signed the rear of the headstocks.

Comment

<font color="yellow">You rang [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim pretty much nailed it [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The were a limited run of Custom Shop Soloists made by Mike Shannon to replicate the San Dimas era Soloists and their characteristics.

Like Jim said, fully bound fretboards with "nibs", non-recessed OFR, script logo, angled neck profile, and had the Duncan Pearly Gates hum and 2 STKS-1 singles for electronics with vol/tone and 5-way switch.

There were maybe around 130 total Shannons produced, with BGF (blue ghost flame) the most prevalent (56) followed by black (50), and a much smaller number of white, slime green, and orange sherbert and a few custom orders (Carlos Cavazos from Quiet Riot has one).

That is about it. </font>

Comment

my bud has an '85 san dimas soloist, how has the neck heel changed? and has the neck shaped changed? (the neck shape never appealed to me).

Comment

Why did they use production serial numbers on Shannon's if they were Custom Shop? I am not debating the claim, just wondering why the usual system wasn't used.

Seventh, here are the differences in heels:
            80's style

90's style

As for the neck carves, there is no one "San Dimas" shape, so it is kind of hard to compare to your friends without knowing what his particular guitar was like.

Comment

Re: please dont banish me o jackson/charvel lords.

[ QUOTE ]
              They are worth more and are collected for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play the crap out of mine, considering it's my ONLY electric guitar at the moment. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've got starving student syndrome here... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My thread with pics:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#331999

Couple more differences between the Shannons and the current Soloists. Chrome hardware on solid paint schemes and poplar body wings rather than alder set the Shannons slightly apart. I think the Shannons also have a one-piece maple neck rather than a three-piece which I've been told is more typical of current Soloists. Also, there's no allen key holder on the back of the headstock, otherwise Mike Shannon's signature would be covered. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But I've seen lots of guitars without the allen key holder there anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Old style neck heel on the Shannon:

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                2 STKS-1 singles

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also heard SSL-5 Custom Staggered single coils. Somebody PLEASE rip those singles out and put this thing to rest. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="yellow">OK ALex, rip those bad-bears out [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I aint gonna do it [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Mine are Hot Rails, that much I know for sure... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Never saw the stock pickups and not sure where they are either... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Jim, you still have that Silver Bullet Soloist?

Comment

Well if you can find a slime green or white Shannon, they're worth considerably more than a standard soloist of the time period. Other than that, they're not really worth much more. The going rate for a typical black or Blue Ghost Flames seems to be in the $900-$1000 price range at the moment, which is pretty consistent with a regular USA Soloist or SL1 in similar condition would get $800-$1000 on ebay.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

When I had mine, only the thing I didn't like about it was the trem bridge placed so high.
                          I guess I got used to play guitars like my GMW or Musicman EVH or Peavey Wolfgang with lower positioned bridges.
                          I prefer recessed trem cavity for floating setting.

Comment

thanks you guys, now it all makes sense to me.
                            www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Jim, you still have that Silver Bullet Soloist?

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Yeah. That is one of the 5 "core" guitars that are special. It would take alot to get those away from me.

Comment

Working...
                              X