Y2KV wiring & TSL 60's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y2KV wiring & TSL 60's

Anyone else annoyed by the Y2KV wiring? The damn guitar never shuts up, it's as bad as a... Has anyone around here re-wired theirs? I'm about to...

Who's using a TSL60? I'd like to talk about dialing in tone - or what you're using in front of it. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Lata!
    McD
    \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Re: Y2KV wiring & TSL 60\'s

I've had a couple of guitars like that. Try running an extra ground from the pots to the bridge or side-of-cavity ground.

Also, you might try resoldering the connections to the volume, switch, or jack. My LPS doesn't shut completely up since I replaced the bridge pickup. I'd fix it, but I've got a Flanged patch in my TSR-12 that actually sounds kinda neat (in an Alice Cooper kinda way) with the bleed-through [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

[ July 01, 2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Maybe shield the electronics cavity?

P.S.- It's somewhat amusing that a F/J/C honcho uses one of the 'verboten body styles as a personal axe. Shame, shame. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

j/k! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, well, it's still my favorite Jackson. It's what I use live and what I WILL use live. LOL!

McD

Originally posted by shreddermon:
        Maybe shield the electronics cavity?

P.S.- It's somewhat amusing that a F/J/C honcho uses one of the 'verboten body styles as a personal axe. Shame, shame. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

j/k! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Re: Y2KV wiring &amp; TSL 60\'s

PS: If you turn off the volume knob and play an A chord, it sounds like the Searchers 'Needles and Pins' from the intro of 'Use The Man.' Which is not the tone I'm looking for when I play that guitar....

McD

Comment

Right on! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] You've got to admit, it was a great design.

McD

PS: what's with this? somebody give this guy a Rhoads! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] (Or tell me how to make these icons in photoshop).

Originally posted by shreddermon:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by McD - J/C HQ:
            Yeah, well, it's still my favorite Jackson. It's what I use live and what I WILL use live. LOL!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

See, there's another reason for us to like you, McD. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

And, yeah, my old Y2KV used to do the same.
            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

It's a common problem that happens with two volume guitars. Turn the other volume down and your bleed-through problem should go away. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It doesn't happen on my Gibson's. LOFL!!!

Originally posted by toejam:
                It's a common problem that happens with two volume guitars. Turn the other volume down and your bleed-through problem should go away. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

I had a DM KV Pro with the two Volumes and wired it (somehow) so that both Volumes worked at all times - one I could roll back and get a thinner clean tone, the other I could roll back and still retain some beefyness (more bluesy than clean) - too bad I can't remember how to do that [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                    I had a DM KV Pro with the two Volumes and wired it (somehow) so that both Volumes worked at all times - one I could roll back and get a thinner clean tone, the other I could roll back and still retain some beefyness (more bluesy than clean) - too bad I can't remember how to do that [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, you can do either independent wiring or master volume-type wiring. The master wiring is normal Gibson wiring where, in the middle pup position, (both pups on) that when one volume is all the way down, it will cause no sound. When Ken wired up my Hamer with the EMGs, he did it the independent way (you can turn either volume all the way down and blend them better without the sound cutting out), and the bleed-through is definitely more. With the EMGs now in my Les Paul, I kept the standard way, and the sound still bleeds through, though not as much.

I actually prefer the independent way so that you can leave the pup selector in the middle position all the time and just use the volume controls to blend in either pup as much or as little as you want. It's just kind of annoying when only using one pup that you still get the bleed-through of the signal unless the other volume is all the way down, too.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My Y2KV makes noise like crazy also. I had it re-wired and the cavity sprayed with shielding paint but it did no good. I've given up on trying to fix it and have learned to live with it, seeing as how it's my best sounding guitar.

Comment

Does the noise stop when you touch the bridge? Is it a buzz or signal hiss? Or is it all just bleedthrough?

Newc

Comment

On my KV1, I just removed the Pickup Hot Wires from the Centre Tags on the Pots (Both Pickups)and swapped them with the Output wires (to the switch) which were wired to the right hand Tags. Although you can't blend pickups as well, It stops that far more annoying bleed through and Earth Hum. I also modded one of my customers Y2KV's which he was much happier with than the stock wiring.

Comment

My Y2KV does the same thing, when youd touch the volume controls or bridge it would stop. I had it reshielded and stuff but still didnt fix it. Now i dont have an amp at the moment so it doesnt bother me anymore. lol.

Comment

>>Now i dont have an amp at the moment so it doesnt bother me anymore. lol.

That's one solution, LOL! I guess the trick is to swap the wire (coming from the pickup) from the middle post on the volume pot to the outer post where the wire to the toggle is. Do that for both pickups and it should cure the problem.

I don't blend, it's either bridge or neck. Once in a while I'll wonder "what the hell is up with my tone" and look down to see the toggle is in the middle position. But that's another story. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

McD

Comment

Working...
                              X