DK24 HH not digging pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK24 HH not digging pickup

Hi, I have a DK24 HH FR with a SD full shred in the bridge. I am running through a plexi clone that is really mid heavy. With my stock SGJ it sounds great, nice and juicy, but with the Charvel it is WAY middy. Both guitars have a maple neck and mahogany bodies. so the pickups must be the issue here. The amp treble and presence are dimed with the DK and with the SG they can be all @ 12 o clock Any suggestions on which pickup would get me closer to the more biting treble side?

It's hard to beat the Duncan JB or the Dimarzio Super Distortion

Comment

Its funny since the full shred is supposed to be scooped. The JB is even more middy and in my experience i dont like its sound in most guitars except a few. I would also maybe test out lighter gauge strings too before going for another pickup.

Comment

I guess when I say mid I think that might be a little subjective maybe it's lower mid that's more of the thing

Comment

In addition to ed's suggestion about the strings, I would also try adjusting the pickup height and pole pieces. the full shred is going to be super high output compared to the sgj's pickups, so lowering the pickup position will prevent slamming the front end of the amp too much which can result in a more muddy sound. also, in addition to lowering the pickup, you can also adjust the pole pieces. raising the pole pieces which are closer to the bridge will get you more treble response.

Comment

I've tried adjusting pickup and pole pieces which do regulate the output, but I'd like to try something different like a SD 78 or 59

Comment

The Full Shred was meant for a guitar like a Les Paul. Short scale, mahogany, no trem, rosewood FB. I have a set in my 750XL and that is one of my best sounding guitars.

Comment

Well I pulled the trigger on a 78 model, so I'll start there.

Comment

hopefully that works out well, I'm curious to hear how the 78 does.

the other thing I was going to say is that the whole "vintage pickups sound different" thing is 100% true. the aging of the magnet has a pronounced effect on the sound of a humbucker and usually results in a sound which is more pleasant. pickup manufacturers do various things like degaussing, using different magnet alloys, and using different constructing techniques (airbucker) to try to emulate old pickup sound reliably. your mileage may vary, but personally I've found the most enjoyment out of the "airbucker" pickups dimarzio sells, including the air nortion and the paf 36th (which uses airbucker design though it's not called an airbucker).
                  Last edited by metalhobo; 04-26-2024, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I agree with the paf36th, I had a Epi DOT that sounded lifeless, I dropped one of those in there and it was instant love.

Comment

Put the 78 in today and first impressions are certainly more bass and more highs as expected. So I think the low mids are tamed. Better that the FS.

Comment

Working...
                      X