Why can't I ebonize my fretboard???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I ebonize my fretboard???

I practically stole a Soloist SL3X from a pawn shop recently. I made them a serious lowball offer and they took it. I love the guitar except for one thing: the Laurel fretboard. I hate that brown Rosewood look.

So I decided to ebonize it. The problem? NOTHING I've tried will soak into this wood. Nothing. I started with Minwax True Black stain. I sanded the board lightly, applied the stain, and waited. The next day, the stain would easily just rub right off.

Next up: India ink. I bought some Speedball India ink from Hobby Lobby. Lightly sanded the board again and applied the ink with a brush. The next morning... tada!!! ... it just rubs right off.

What's going on here? I REALLY want this fretboard to be black, like the Ebony on my USA Soloists. But it seems that nothing will soak into this wood.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Maybe its too oily. I have had a few new guitars that were i guess dyed at the factory and when i first cleaned the fretboard the dye just came off. I guess if you want it to stick you would have to use some kind of a finish like lacquer or something

Comment

You may have to sand it more vigorously and rub plenty of nafta in there to make sure whatever they used during manufacturing is removed.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
        I practically stole a Soloist SL3X from a pawn shop recently. I made them a serious lowball offer and they took it. I love the guitar except for one thing: the Laurel fretboard. I hate that brown Rosewood look.

So I decided to ebonize it. The problem? NOTHING I've tried will soak into this wood. Nothing. I started with Minwax True Black stain. I sanded the board lightly, applied the stain, and waited. The next day, the stain would easily just rub right off.

Next up: India ink. I bought some Speedball India ink from Hobby Lobby. Lightly sanded the board again and applied the ink with a brush. The next morning... tada!!! ... it just rubs right off.

What's going on here? I REALLY want this fretboard to be black, like the Ebony on my USA Soloists. But it seems that nothing will soak into this wood.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
        Thanks for the tip. I don't like the look of Laurel either. I'm guessing like other said that it is such an oily wood that nothing can penetrate it.

Comment

Well, I finally seem to have made some progress. I cleaned it thoroughly with Scripto lighter fluid/solvent (what you all call Naptha), and tried India ink, then Minwax True Black stain. Both would just wipe right off like it was nothing, even after drying overnight.

But now it looks like Kiwi leather dye will finally be the one that works. So we'll see.

Comment

I watched the Andertons PRS factory tour just a few days ago and it appears they use leather dyes too on their tops mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
              I watched the Andertons PRS factory tour just a few days ago and it appears they use leather dyes too on their tops mostly.
              I wasn't sure if PRS still used leather dye on their tops, but they were prone to fading, especially blues. They're probably using UV inhibitors these days to help. I got a '97 Royal Blue CE24 a couple years ago that's pretty faded and looks almost gray except for the edges.

I hope the leather dye won't fade out from your fingerboard, PowerTube!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

I wasn't sure if PRS still used leather dye on their tops, but they were prone to fading, especially blues. They're probably using UV inhibitors these days to help. I got a '97 Royal Blue CE24 a couple years ago that's pretty faded and looks almost gray except for the edges.

Thanks. After trying Minwax True Black stain and India ink, and having no luck getting either to stick, I finally found some success with Kiwi black leather dye. It looks like it's still wet in the pics, but it's totally dry. I'm hoping that'll smooth out over time.

Comment

Has anyone tried iron oxide/ white vinegar mix?

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post

Thanks. After trying Minwax True Black stain and India ink, and having no luck getting either to stick, I finally found some success with Kiwi black leather dye. It looks like it's still wet in the pics, but it's totally dry. I'm hoping that'll smooth out over time.

Nice!

Comment

Take the strings off and try buffing the fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

Toejam these dyes would fade cause of what you said -UV radiation, but blacks that are used in inks and stains are mainly carbonised organic matter or shall I say black iron oxide so they won't fade, they can't be affected by light

Comment

Originally posted by vampire dark View Post

Toejam these dyes would fade cause of what you said -UV radiation, but blacks that are used in inks and stains are mainly carbonised organic matter or shall I say black iron oxide so they won't fade, they can't be affected by light
                          Good to know!

Comment

Working...
                          X