Charvel guitar indentification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel guitar indentification

The seller says the guitars been repainted but theres no serial or anything, and the knob/switch placement is awfully wierd.
    is there any chance it could be a real charvel thats been just generally repainted and modified?

The listing URL:https://www.kupujemprodajem.com//muz...glas/136134399
    Translation of the discription: Charvel from the 90's. I Dont know what the model is, its been repainted by its previous owner. (and the rest is about the 85 EMG's in it)

It could be a Model 5A or a Model 5 FX with routing done for a neck position humbucker and new control holes drilled. in fact the neck pickup seems crooked so it's likely it was added by somebody, poorly. the other parts of the guitar seem legit to me. the jt-6 means it would definitely be an '80s model, not '90s.

I don't know what the going rate for a model 5 or 5 fx is in that country, but 450 euros seems like a bad deal considering how molested the guitar is.

edit: also those frets look awful small. and the fretboard looks chewed up. if it really is a model 5a it looks like it's been refret.
    Last edited by metalhobo; 04-30-2022, 02:06 PM.

Comment

is it worth the 450 eur hes asking for it? concidering its refinished and heavily modded as is.. it looks great and id probably keep it that way but i dont really want to overpay on it without knowing what it should've been :p

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
        It could be a Model 5A or a Model 5 FX with routing done for a neck position humbucker and new control holes drilled. in fact the neck pickup seems crooked so it's likely it was added by somebody, poorly. the other parts of the guitar seem legit to me. the jt-6 means it would definitely be an '80s model, not '90s.

I don't know what the going rate for a model 5 or 5 fx is in that country, but 450 euros seems like a bad deal considering how molested the guitar is.
        The thing is here its pretty rare to get a neck thru guitar, let alone a charvel.
        Hes a reseller so im guessing he might knock the price to 430-420 max and that, im pretty tempted to pick it up because in my opinon it just looks so cool with the text.
        Also i didnt even see that the pickup was crooked and now im only seeing it had a single coil in the middle, theres a slight and a very slight line in where the paint im assuming cracked and is showing the hole that was probably badly patched.

Comment

also see my edit about the frets. too many red flags with this guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

edit: also those frets look awful small. and the fretboard looks chewed up. if it really is a model 5a it looks like it's been refret.
            https://ibb.co/2tw7b12 heres the hole im trying to describe, and yeah i see now that the fretboard and frets looked chewed the heck up. i hadnt even seen half of the mistakes you've mentioned now.
            Do you have any guess as to what it could be worth and what is okay paying for it?

Comment

IDK of any model 5 with a middle single and the 3a has two humbuckers, the model 5 has two humbuckers stock
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by johnthrashingston View Post

https://ibb.co/2tw7b12 heres the hole im trying to describe, and yeah i see now that the fretboard and frets looked chewed the heck up. i hadnt even seen half of the mistakes you've mentioned now.
                Do you have any guess as to what it could be worth and what is okay paying for it?
                I'd guess it's a modded stock model 5 that had a middle single routed in it at some point and filled. pickups crocked because its a plain pickup ring and not over sized so the hole don't line up
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

those are not japanese dots

Comment

Let's look at this another way...
                    It is a neck thru. This doesn't make it real, but usually the fakes are bolt on. And the neck thru looks very good... like a legitimate late-80's neck thru would look.
                    The nut plus lock is not something people usually fake, they usually go with just the lock.

But the fretboard, pickups, electronics... all make us say "WTF".
                    *I didn't see the frets others mentioned.

So, if you like the artwork, take your chances on it.

Comment

Model 5 fretboard

Click image for larger version

Name:	fretboard.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2548740

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        those are not japanese dots
                        Yeah, the 12th and 24th fret dots are pretty far away from each other. Something strange about that one. It definitely also had a middle single coil at one point.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Intonation setting on trem, makes me think its shorter scale like 24.75

Comment

It had at one point three pot holes the middle is covered that's right, the headstock cap is right, the fretboard dot's are off and it at some point had a middle single pickup, which could be a mod, overall, I just wouldn't touch it. Not Short scale too much room between the humbuckers.

Comment

i feel like if that is a model 5a or something like that the fretboard has been changed because the dots are so far apart and no serial number.

Comment

Working...
                              X