Seymour Duncan strat cover on a SL1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan strat cover on a SL1

I would like to replace the pickup covers on the strat humbucker. I bought a set of 3 black OEM Seymour Duncan covers on eBay and I started to take the Jackson ones off and right away I saw they are different than the ones I bought. I should have noticed this before I bought them. The Jackson Seymour Duncan ones are deeper with a U-shape cut out for the electronics, the ones I bought are not as deep and no U-shape. I looked on Seymour Duncan’s website and funny that they have a picture of a cover with U-shape cut out but I don’t what to buy them and be in the same boat getting the wrong one again. Yes I can call them just wondering if anyone came across this before. Thanks
    Last edited by Lightningsky; 03-03-2022, 11:26 PM.

The humbucker doesn't have a cover on it. Pictures, and a little more detail of what you're trying to do would help.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

he might have meant to type "on the strat pickup" instead of "on the strat humbucker"

Comment

Yes sorry the strat pickup cover. I will try to post a picture.
        Last edited by Lightningsky; 03-05-2022, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Oh, I got it now. You're talking about the single coils that have the lip/flange vs. the ones that don't.

Comment

Here is a picture,the Jackson is on the left side it’s 1.8 cm. Has anybody bought new replacement ones? Thanks

Comment

okay, here's the thing: the strat-style pickups in your SL1 are not single coil pickups, they are stacked humbuckers; the seymour duncan stk-s1, to be exact. these types of "stacks" are inherently taller than normal single coils, so normal covers won't fit them. the covers seymour duncan sells are for normal single coils and predictably will not fit.

what' funny is that seymour duncan at some point switched their "stack" line from having replaceable covers to being fully potted. I'm not exactly sure when this happened. in any case, the current stack lineup they have do not have covers, and SD does not seem to sell any covers for them on their website. I doubt any stock you find online will be anything other than the "standard" covers which will not fit your stacks.

your best bet would probably be to contact seymour duncan directly, tell them you have an stk-s1, and ask if they have any available covers for them.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                okay, here's the thing: the strat-style pickups in your SL1 are not single coil pickups, they are stacked humbuckers; the seymour duncan stk-s1, to be exact. these types of "stacks" are inherently taller than normal single coils, so normal covers won't fit them. the covers seymour duncan sells are for normal single coils and predictably will not fit.

what' funny is that seymour duncan at some point switched their "stack" line from having replaceable covers to being fully potted. I'm not exactly sure when this happened. in any case, the current stack lineup they have do not have covers, and SD does not seem to sell any covers for them on their website. I doubt any stock you find online will be anything other than the "standard" covers which will not fit your stacks.

your best bet would probably be to contact seymour duncan directly, tell them you have an stk-s1, and ask if they have any available covers for them.
                Thank you very much for this information. I called Seymour Duncan and they said they don’t make these covers anymore, they said try Allparts or somewhere else. I am going to keep as is and will not replace the pickups or go to another company for replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightningsky View Post

Thank you very much for this information. I called Seymour Duncan and they said they don’t make these covers anymore, they said try Allparts or somewhere else. I am going to keep as is and will not replace the pickups or go to another company for replacements.
                  Why do they need to be changed?

Comment

They are scratched up would have been nice to make them look new.

Comment

while you won't get them looking "new," there are various ways you can refresh plastic. I've use the music nomad guitar polish on plastic parts before with good results. I've also heard that mild abrasives like toothpaste or baking soda can work but I've never tried it. just make sure you test it on the underside of the pickup before doing it where it's visible. and be very careful around the printed logo, to prevent removing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightningsky View Post
                        I would like to replace the pickup covers on the strat humbucker. I bought a set of 3 black OEM Seymour Duncan covers on eBay and I started to take the Jackson ones off and right away I saw they are different than the ones I bought. I should have noticed this before I bought them. The Jackson Seymour Duncan ones are deeper with a U-shape cut out for the electronics, the ones I bought are not as deep and no U-shape. I looked on Seymour Duncan’s website and funny that they have a picture of a cover with U-shape cut out but I don’t what to buy them and be in the same boat getting the wrong one again. Yes I can call them just wondering if anyone came across this before. Thanks

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/seymour...-set-of-3.html
                        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

did you even read the thread, dude? those are the same that SD sells and won't work.

Comment

did you even read the thread, dude? those are the same that SD sells and won't work.
                            Matches the one on the left and is for stacked singles dude
                            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Did you click on the link and look at the picture? They look like the stack covers he's looking for, and Lightningsky clarified that Duncan does not make them any more. Maybe Pitbull Audio has the wrong picture, also, but you'd have to contact them to make sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X