Jackson J-90C!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson J-90C!

Just picked up one of these and installed it in a Charvel natural series custom guitar....wow....I feel like I am transported back to 1985 with hair extensions and spandex pants. Yeah its the 80s sound but it has that great combination of being hot and aggressive but still "nice" sounding rather than raw or harsh. Went from a TB14 (nice but mids are flatter) and then a Suhr SSH (nice cut but not enough beef) to this one. Can't imagine taking it out if I want that sound....

I have always shied away from ceramic pickups as they can be a bit harsh but this makes me re-think things.

I know this pickup was standard in Jacksons and charvels back then....what Jackson neck pickups went in those guitars? I'm thinking I want the matching pickup...

The Charvel Model 1C and Charvel Model 3 came with a J90C humbucker in the bridge and two J100 single coils in the middle and neck.

Comment

and if we're talking humbuckers and customs jacksons in the 80s, you'd probably be ordering a j-50 in the neck position. but you could do a j-80 too.

Comment

Just bought a J-50N for cheap to see how it goes...its says 10.2 so seems pretty hot for a neck humbucker...we'll see if it beats out the Seymour 59N....

Comment

Totally dig the J90C myself too.

The J80C isn't too shabby either.

Comment

for a H in the neck, I would think the 50 more than the 80. The 80 was more of a bridge pickup.
            for an S in the neck, you would typically find the 100, or the 200 which is a stacked humbucker

Comment

Don’t forget the rail J200R! I can confirm that J100s and J80s are great in the neck if you want an all vintage Jackson load out.
              Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
              My collection also there!

Comment

hi just want to give a heads up.. the 10,2 on back of pickup is string spacing not ohms and for the bridge pickup on some jackson pickups it will say 10.8 and that how you can tell neck from bridge pickup..10.8 is f spaced and jackson started doing this maybe late 80s early 90s..most jackson pickups before that were regular spaced.. so if you see a jackson pickup with 10.2 or 10.8 you know if its a bride pickup or neck and you should ask what the ohms read..hope this might help someone..martin

Comment

I recently scored a mij Phil Collen archtop and I am blown away from that J90C. The slanted J100 tho is not for me. As soon as I select the J100 I get instant noise and hum like from a Squier Strat

Comment

Working...
                  X